Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play

Emmawill

Just wondered what you all do.

We have set up a role play beauty salon this week following the children's interests , we have had nail stickers, painting, body glitter, facials etc. We have also placed plastic combs, scrunchies, and clips and the children have been creating wonderful hairstyles on themselves and the staff( We did have a good laugh this afternoon as one member of staff resembled the girl from gimmee gimmee gimmee!!!.).

Can I ask as it has been mentioned to me that we should not be using any hair products as this increases the risk of headlice. the items are dettol srayed at the end of each session. Does anyone else do this activity? or has the world gone mad? my issue is that hats and scarves are used on the dressing up trolley which seems to be ok!!!!.

Your opinions would be appreciated

:o

in my reception i have a haridressers box (create dafter an interest in the subject). After one of the parents commented on the use of combs (i didn't have a brush or spray bottles) i consulted the headteacher. she didn't have an issue with it and the girls really love playing hairdressers. so to please the parent i cellotaped around the comb so they can still pretend to use it but they cannot actually brush the hair (i had already celloptaped some scissors together and talked about not using real scissors and not to undo the tape and why we should't cut each others hair). In my mind i would rather this than i caughts them playing hairdressers and using real scissors!

We have them too . Infact it is one of our most popular role plays- the children love to do the staffs hair ! The risk of creepy crawlies from hats in a fire fighter or similar role play would be the same as a hairdressers ?????

Guest lou73

Well said DizzyLizzy! we are just developing this as a role play area and you have given me something to say to concerned parents :o

We just let them have free use of combs clips etc. They absolutely love the hair dressers role play.

A good tip if you have any hairdresser courses at local colleges - they practise on 'heads' first (bit like the old girls world heads) and when used they just thow them. One of our Grans who is on a course asked if she could have some and brought us 4. They are brill, although did give a staff member a bit of a shock when she walked in the office to find a head on the floor - she thought someone had fainted!

Thanks for your comments, I agree that watching the children this week in that area has been very enjoyable as they have learnt so much from it, booking appointments, taking money, as well as mimicking what adults do and not forgetting the speaking and listening going on! and watching the staff have their hair done has been very enjoyable!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)