Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does Anyone Know?

I am suffering from brain fade tonight :o (well that's my excuse!) and wonder if any of you clever people can tell me the name of the pictures that are used to support children with SEN. I am talking about the ones that illustrate nursery routine, washing hands, home time, snack time etc. The child/adult communicate with thes pictures and the child puts the relevant picture in a pocket on th wall. I am sure they have a name but can't think and want to try and find some on-line. Hope someone can stop me from going totally mad!!!!!!

It might be PECS. I think this is a system where cards are used to help children with communication difficulties. I haven't actually seen the cards but we have been asked if we would consider using them with a child who has no speech and poor comprehension. We have said yes and are waiting for further developments.

I think it is PECS Geraldine. Makaton is more sign language. But I think there are various products based on PECS (which stands for Picture Exchange Communication System), of which Boardmaker might well be one.

(I seem to remember a discussion on Boardmaker some time ago, and I think it turned out to be pretty expensive?)

Here's a site that gives a fair bit more information on PECS - it's American so probably not ideal for sourcing the product, but seems to be very informative.

I visited a spec ed. school on Friday, who were using pictures with the children to create timetables and Iasked what the pictures were as I'd heard of Makaton and PECS.

the response was that they were "Makaton because we are a makaton signing school."

they were simple balck and white almost stick type illustrations.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hi,

There are also TEACCH symbols - can't remember what that stands for but they are simple drawings that children with special needs (often Autism) use often on a timetable for the day but also to express what they would like to do or for the adult to give them a choice (e.g would you like to do swimming - show symbol - or drawing - show symbol? They then point to their choice). I have used these with children who also sign using Makaton.

Don't know if that is of any help.

yes Steve- Makaton has both signing and picture cards.

i had a child in nursery and we used a combination of the two. Th picture cards are useful for the child to communicate to people who have not learnt Makaton.

Hi Geraldine

I was up and on the computer at 5am (I couldn't sleep) and read your post, I racked my brains as I knew that I knew this!! I then went onto google to search for the answer......Well I didn't find it, BUT I did come across a web site, that was very interesting and kept me up for another hour!

(that was along addresss!! :o )

Glad you got an answer to your querie as it was driving me mad not knowing! xD

Trea :)

No problem Geraldine, My sleep patterns are all over the place! I went to bed at 5pm on Friday and woke again at 9am saturday morning :o (I had a cold coming on and was feeling awful) So on saturady I went to bed at 10pm and was up at 4 in the morning wide awake! stayed up until 6.30 then went back to bed and up again at 9am!! I don't know if I'm coming or going! (going more than likely!! xD )

Hi, the NSPCC and Triangle who work wih children with disablilties have produced a booklet of images called 'How to'. Its good for younger and older children to show feelings, likes/dislikes but is a bit graphic for the very young because it's also to give children a voice to express concerns about being touched inappropriatly too, so you'd have to decide what you wanted to use. It comes with a CD and costs £8 from the NSPCC.

The autistic lad in my class and the one I'm getting in September have these symbols at their workstation and the programme the TAs use to create these is called BoardMaker. THey've just got a new version of it and it is great! There are so many pictures there for you to use, from a young age right through to teenagers (yes there's symbols relating to the Sex Ed side of things, bit like looking in a dictionary for swear words when you were a kid- TAs said that was one of the first things they looked for when browsing!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks it's me again! :o Racing against the clock to get an assignment finished (at the moment the clock is winning xD )

Writing about inclusion of children with physical disabilites and need to know what a particular mobility aid is called! It' s sort of triangular frame with three wheels and handle bars and a child is able to walk when pushing it along. I think it is called a rollator but not sure and if it is don't know whether the spelling is rollatOr or rollatEr!! Hunted high and low and dictionary is useless!!!

Here's hoping........ :D

Hi'

I think you're right, it's a rollater.

If it's wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Good luck

Kate

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)