Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activities Linked To Length

Please, please, please, any ideas welcome, first week back always exhausting!! Our H/T topic is Houses and Homes so if it can be linked all the better.

I've seen a soft toy maths set consisting of a number of knitted snakes of different lengths (and widths) and some sticks. Children could match snake and stick by length, decide whether shorter, longer etc.

Not a lot of help with your topic though!

Jean

Hi

You could make some houses out of shapes and put them in rows either to measure against something else like tables or to measure against each other......which row is longest/shortest............. :D

Thank you, i have those snakes somewhere had forgotton about them! Had planned something with building tower blocks and comparing sizes. Ribbon idea is nice.

hi

i have stuck different lengths of masking tape of the floor and provided the children with corresponding bits of string/ ribbon. They have to 'measure' and find the one that matches - can involve estimation aswell as lots comparison and vocab, too long, too short etc

we also drew different length tails on mice and made playdough sausages

Lizz

Hi

We've measured the length of our tables by seeing how many duplo bricks or straws fit across the table and then used a tape measure.

What a great site Carol-thanks for that. Even though it is meant for reception there are some lovely ideas we can use with the older children at pre-school. We are always getting stuck for ideas to do as a large group! Are there any more for literacy etc?

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)