Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scale Point 9 For Knowledge And Understanding

Hi,

We have recently been moderated for KUW, and had lots of postive comments made. One of our areas for development was opportunities to allow more able children achieve or access Scale Point 9. I was just wondering how others approach this, and what kind of activities are used. Still quite new to Foundation, so any help is gratefully received.

Annie1979 :o

Hi Annie, I've not had a Point 9 pupil for KUW as it seems to be hard to achieve via play scenarios. Some KUW seem to be unachievable without being set up don't they? I'd be intersted to know if anyone has a good way of achieving point 9s too

I think this one is impossible to set up as a one off activity as it covers different aspects DT/Science/RE/Citizenship to name but a few. I would judge the separate parts and once all elements had been achieved I would award the point. I find my children achieve parts but not all of this point.

I've never awarded a point 9 for K&U. I seem to remember when we looked at K&U, some elements of point 9 were more in line with Year 2 curriculum. Some children might achieve in some parts of it - but I would guess it would be a particulary gifted child who could consistently achieve in all aspects in 'child inititated/unteacher directed tasks'.

Good luck - I think access might be more realistic (elements of it) than achieve - in that you're giving them the opportunities. Someone else might feel differently though!

Harricroft.

I wouldn't give a 9 for K & U as there is so much that they need to know and understand, and a lot of that would be NC Level 2. The problem with doing that is that once in Y1 the child will have difficult targets set unless they are gifted and talented and have a curriculum designed to take them beyond Level 3. I know that the profile scores shouldn't be matched to NC levels, but the fact is that that is how it will be used in most schools in my experience. When you consider that K& U equates to History, Geography, ICT and Science, it is a lot to give them a 9 for on a rather inexplicit statement.

Thank you for all of your help. Your responses have more or less confirmed what we thought. We awarded it to one child, who is incredibly gifted when it comes to KUW.

Thanks again. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)