Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Which Route To Take?

Hi,

a fantastic forum!

Need advice on which route to take,I have a PGCE and have taught key stage 2 primary.I am currently taking a career break to focus on my own children.I was thinking of setting up a mother and Todd group in my local area in the hope of it turning into pre-school/nursey one day.

Will my qualifications be enough or will I have to do all the early years courses again??!!I've been searching but find all this NVQ/CACHE really confusing.If anyone can give me advice I'd be most grateful.

Thankyou!

Hi, welcome to the forum and thanks for your first post!

What actual qualifications do you have? Sorry if that sounds dense, but if you don't have a prescribed qualification at Level 3, or be working towards it, you will have to get one. If you let us know what you've got we'll be in a better position to advise you - also your local Early Years Team could give you advice. try their website? There may be a FAQ section.

Sue

Guest Wolfie

Welcome from me too - and good luck! I think you'll find that many long and successful careers in Early Years started out just the way you are hoping to, it's haivng your own children that makes you realise just how much fun that age group is! :o

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I assume you have QTS as you have been teaching Y2 which would be enough although you may want to look at the EYPS longer route with placements in order to gain relevant experience with younger children

I agree I think the best way would be to undertake the short pathway validation route to gaining your Early years Professional Status as you will then have to demonstrate how you work with the 0-5 year olds. If your children are at school, what about working in a sessional group for a short time to gain some experience in early years and find out all the issues surrounding nurseries at the moment and there are many, one in particular, the Code of Practice and the NEG grant that seems to be plaguing all our lives. I do not want to sound negative but it is worth looking at all of these things - I think starting off with a parent toddler group is a fantastic way in and a service that many parents want and need. From there you can look at your options but running a nursery or sessional setting is not for the faint hearted - making it financially viable is pretty difficult and by that I don't mean earning loads, I mean just making it sustainable so you can pay yourself and your staff a decent wage. I am sure however this will change as I think it will have to unless we are to were to lose yet more nurseries. Ask you early years team if they have conducted their "supply and demand" study - sorry cannot think of a better word for it, but all LA's now have legal responsibility to ensure that there are enough places for children, this will give you a good starting point to finding out what is in your area. They will also h ave a business development officer who can help you too and these people can be really helpful as they know the local market conditions, have up to date information etc on what's happening in the area. Good luck

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)