Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pumpkin Seeds

We are planning to use pumpkin seeds next week as part of our healthy eating and lifestyles topic. I thought I would incorporate them into some bread we are going to make. We also like to tell the children where these things come from and will also use sunflower seeds which I know I can plant and the children can then watch grow.......

My question is can you plant the pumpkin seeds that come in the packet from the supermarket and are really for eating. Sorry if this is a silly question but I've got loads of those kinds of seeds and need to know if I need to go to the garden centre for some to plant!!

I cant see why not. It is only about conditions for growth isn't it.

I have planted sunflower seeds from the pet shop intended for pet food and they were fine.

One of my colleagues had kids who spilled beans and lentils and stuff in the sand and watered em. They started to sprout.

Let us know how you go on.

You could always do a few from a packet and the rest from the big bag. So you have a back up.

Aren't the ones you buy to eat already roasted? I would presume that they wouldn't grow. My Dad grows his pumpkins every year from last years seeds that he has dried out in the greenhouse, with great success. Good luck anyway, interesting to try out.

Just found this

"Pumpkin seeds

The hulled or semi-hulled seeds of pumpkins can be roasted and eaten as a snack, similar to the sunflower seed. Pumpkin seeds can be prepared for eating by first separating them from the orange pumpkin flesh, then coating them in a generally salty sauce (Worcestershire sauce, for example), after which the seeds are distributed upon a baking sheet, and then cooked in an oven at a relatively low temperature for a long period of time."

But you can buy seeds from garden centres

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. I haven't been ignoring you all but my internet has stopped working in all the thunder and rain and I haven't managed to get it sorted out yet. Today I am in the local library catching up on all your lovely posts!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)