Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning

:(

hi have had the go a head from partnership teachers to use the EYFS from September I have my planning format in place, but like to cut and paste the learning intentions on the planning. Also I would like a tracking sheet for each child on their development (not to use as a tick chart). I know there has been a post where some one has already done this could anyone tell me what this was under.

:o Hi, new to the forum and struggling to work my way round the site..am feeling my age! Really desperate to find learning objectives I can cut and paste onto planning..did you find anything?

Annie xD

Hi Annie, and welcome to the forum. :o

When you say learning objectives, do you mean the statements from the development matters column in the EYFS or do you have something else in mind?

Hi Annie, and welcome to the forum. xD

When you say learning objectives, do you mean the statements from the development matters column in the EYFS or do you have something else in mind?

Hi Helen

I have just moved to Nursery and I am struggling with how to asess against the EYFS develpoment matters statements. I saw your lovely colour coded grids that you put on last year and wondered how you have gone on using them in the last 12 months? Were they a sucess? I do hope so. I work for salford LEA and we ususally use a 2 year profile, similar to your new grids to measure progress etc but as of yet we have had no guidence about what to use! So did they work well for you?

Also... (sorry to be a pain) how many observations per child do you do? I have some nice short, med and long obs sheet formats I was thinking of using but am unsure how often to use them. The shorter ones I am going to use as we would the old post-it note or sticky label way whenever we see or hear significant learning taking place but I am unsure how many long ones per term per child to do???

Please Help!!!

xxx :o

Hi Chocolate,

Well, those records........

We did use them in the way that I had planned, and they gave us two sorts of information. Firstly, they told us where the child sat comfortably within the various stages, and secondly it told us where we had not recorded much about the child in a given area. This then led to valuable discussions about whether the lack of assessment in certain areas was due to the child not accessing that provision through preference, or due to the fact that we simply hadn't made observations on the child at those times.

The records were updated on a fortnightly basis, at our two hour staf meeting, where staff added observations, photos, etc to the child's Special Book, then cross-referenced the observed learning to the record sheets. It was easily manageable, but we do only have a maximum of ten children per key person.

I used the records for writing the end of year reports, and then they were ditched. I didn't think the reception teachers would find them useful (too much information), and we felt they were a bit dry for the parents.

In terms of numbers of observations per child: I don't think we ever got that right! We always did several "catch as you can" each day, so with four staff making 6 or so observations, we covered most children across the week, perhaps a few times. As for the longer observations, we tried one child per morning, but that didn't always get done: we found we'd selected a child, and the member of staff who was going to make the lengthy observation, but then we'd discover that the child chose to stay in a completely different part of the nursery to where that member of staff was stationed, or didn't do anything that hadn't already been recorded previously, by catch-as-you-can observations. At the end of the year, we probably had a couple of lengthy observations per child, and I felt this was enough, because of all the other information we had recorded.

My gut feeling is that if you know your children really well, acres of observation paperwork is not necessary, but I'm willing to be shouted down! :o

Hi Chocolate,

Well, those records........

We did use them in the way that I had planned, and they gave us two sorts of information. Firstly, they told us where the child sat comfortably within the various stages, and secondly it told us where we had not recorded much about the child in a given area. This then led to valuable discussions about whether the lack of assessment in certain areas was due to the child not accessing that provision through preference, or due to the fact that we simply hadn't made observations on the child at those times.

The records were updated on a fortnightly basis, at our two hour staf meeting, where staff added observations, photos, etc to the child's Special Book, then cross-referenced the observed learning to the record sheets. It was easily manageable, but we do only have a maximum of ten children per key person.

I used the records for writing the end of year reports, and then they were ditched. I didn't think the reception teachers would find them useful (too much information), and we felt they were a bit dry for the parents.

In terms of numbers of observations per child: I don't think we ever got that right! We always did several "catch as you can" each day, so with four staff making 6 or so observations, we covered most children across the week, perhaps a few times. As for the longer observations, we tried one child per morning, but that didn't always get done: we found we'd selected a child, and the member of staff who was going to make the lengthy observation, but then we'd discover that the child chose to stay in a completely different part of the nursery to where that member of staff was stationed, or didn't do anything that hadn't already been recorded previously, by catch-as-you-can observations. At the end of the year, we probably had a couple of lengthy observations per child, and I felt this was enough, because of all the other information we had recorded.

My gut feeling is that if you know your children really well, acres of observation paperwork is not necessary, but I'm willing to be shouted down! :o

Thank You very much for your reply. I think this site is wonderful for us all sharing our good practice and general worries/concerns and advice.

Thank you everyone else who has added downloadable planning, asessment etc...There is quite a lot of EYFS training being put on in my LEA between now and October and if I find anything that may be of use to others I will put it on here right away.

Thanks again, have a great 1st week back guys and girls xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)