Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So How Many Preschool Children Attend A Setting?

Guest Alix

Can anyone guide me to where I can access up to date figures on the % of children in a preschool setting in the UK? And what % of these are in cities?

Much appreciated as no luck so far!

Alix.

I dont know where you'd find national fgures from but the Pre-school learning alliance has 15.000 members offering places to 800,000 children. No idea about percentages though.

They include parent and toddler groups too so I dont know if that helps.

Have you tried the childcare information bureau? Thye might have something :o

Hi,

The Daycare Trust sometimes do reports on childcare places, but I 've had a quick look on their website and can't see anything obvious.

The other place is Laing and Buisson as they do annual childcare reports. You may want to see if your local library or Early Years Service has a copy as it's expensive to purchase!

Interesting question though!

The OECD also have some useful information but am not too sure how detailed they it is broken down. As someone said Lang and Buisson have up to date info they normally do an annual review but are very expensive, you may find a summary on their web page.

By preschool do you mean 3-5 year olds only. Ofsted have got a publication out which breakdowns preschools, daycare nurseries etc by area ie north, northwest, south etc and provides quite a lot of information. I cannot remember the name of it but if you go to the publicaitons section I am sure you will find it or telephone them and ask them what report to look at.

Nikki