Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleeping Patterns

can anyone pls inform me what the sleeping pattern is for 2-5 in pre-school, staying for maximum period of 6 hours daily. How is it generally organised, especially if some of the children are up, do you encourage them to sleep?

cheers all

toro :o

Speaking purely as a parent there is nothing on earth that will get a 2-5yr old to sleep in the day unless they want to!! Generally by 3 most children no longer need a sleep in the day unless they are feeling under the weather. Remember that children are individuals though and they will all have their own needs and patterns of behaviour. You really need quiet periods in your routine both in the morning and afternoon - this may just be for 15mins to let the children recharge their batteries. If some of the children still need to sleep and others don't you really need to seperate them. If you haven't got a seperate room you could try doing quiet activities with those not wanting to sleep - but again, have you ever tried keeping a small child quiet for any length of time???? :D

Hi Toro

We take children from 1-5years - some sleep and some don't. Our policy is if the child needs to sleep they can whatever their age. I feel each child needs to be treated individually and their needs provided for. :o

Hi

The nursery that i was deputy in used to take little ones from 8am - 6pm.

If they needed a sleep (parents request) we had a room with matresses in and used to take them in - darken the room and read a story. Thoses that fell asleep were allowed to sleep for up to 2 hrs any others that didnt drop off were taken back out to play.

it did depend on the individual child and their needs but most of them loved this time......... :D ...so did i....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)