Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Project

its nice to know i am not alone in my thoughts,,,it seems that everyone on here has the same views on outside play, getting dirty and taking a little risk!!! its a shame there arnt more people like us around!! we wouldnt have to worry about parents taking us to the cleaners!!!! in more ways than one!!!!

Thanks Liz

I too am lucky to work in a nursery with good, natural outdoor space which the children LOVE in all weathers. I feel one of the biggest barriers is 'fear of injury' Some staff are so worried the children will hurt themselves in some way that they don't allow them to explore the outdoors as we probably would have done when young - climbing trees, balancing on logs, dragging branches around and making dens type of play - and also 'fear of mess' again some people seem to think that children should appear clean and tidy at all times - what about making potions in the mud and generally getting close to nature.

Take risks and get dirty I say :o

Sam x

thank you for your reply,,it is good to know that there are people out there with slightly worse conditions than us!!! good luck in your project!!!!

Our biggest barrier is being in a shared church hall with No outdoor space what so ever. Well actually, there is an alleyway about 1 metre wide and we are going to have a go at turning that into a painting and plant watering area, at least so the children get a view of the blue sky once in a while! How lovely it would be to have our own premesis with our own little space outside! one day .....(we are a pre school by the way)

Thankyou so much for your reply,,, your comments certainly gave me food for thought with regard to the stautary requirements on outside play!!! this gave me alot of good talking points for my project. once again thankyou.

Liz

Hi Liz,

I went the the EYFS launch last week where we were reminded that as from September 08 it is statutory for all children to receive periods of outdoor learning 'every day' - in all weathers unless dangerous. Biggest barrier for me is mixed ages (youngest child 4 months, several others not walking, toddlers and also 3 - 5's). It will be difficult to supervise them all outside together if it's raining or snowing - for example, we will have to ensure those who cannot walk are either in buggies, bouncers, walkers, high chairs and not getting too cold/wet if unable to move around, and at the same time supervise those who have just started to toddle, along with those who are flying around like superman. Saying that, we do enjoy good outdoor play and mostly it's manageable - I think the children's favourite imaginary play area is 'Jacks pad' - a play-shed donated by a lad who had outgrown it (we kept his name plaque on it) :o there's a portable play kitchen, table and chairs etc -the children love filling a bowl with water, washing up the kitchen resources and making everyone dozens of cups of tea (funny.........., they always say tea, not coffee). Another barrier, particularly with mixed ages, could be babies given sandy cups of tea to drink or sand in their eyes - one has to supervise diligently.

thought I would just add to this post as I've just had the most wonderful day at nursery - we're lucky to have lots of natural outdoor space and as a child had asked to "go to the woods" we set off to our wooded area, on the way children picked blackberries, were given a demonstration on stinging nettles and dock leaves, ran through long grass, saw bees, butterflies and birds, CLIMBED TREES, made collage and faces out of leaves and twigs, made marks on the ground with sticks, on the way back picked wild flowers for our lunch tables, washed the blackberries - some of which we had for our dessert and the others put in a pie they made in the afternoon - Today, we didn't have any moans or groans, no snatching, pushing or arguing - younger children slept well after lunch and the older ones relaxed whilst listening to classical music - what more could I ask for? :o

thought I would just add to this post as I've just had the most wonderful day at nursery - we're lucky to have lots of natural outdoor space and as a child had asked to "go to the woods" we set off to our wooded area, on the way children picked blackberries, were given a demonstration on stinging nettles and dock leaves, ran through long grass, saw bees, butterflies and birds, CLIMBED TREES, made collage and faces out of leaves and twigs, made marks on the ground with sticks, on the way back picked wild flowers for our lunch tables, washed the blackberries - some of which we had for our dessert and the others put in a pie they made in the afternoon - Today, we didn't have any moans or groans, no snatching, pushing or arguing - younger children slept well after lunch and the older ones relaxed whilst listening to classical music - what more could I ask for? :o

Oh Dasher you know how to make a girl envious! Our outdoor area consists of paved patio areas, 'off patio' areas covered by shingle and some overgrown planted areas. Oh for a bit of grass to sit on and make daisy chains...

What sort of setting are you in? The kind of day you describe is just about perfect - shame Mrs Ofsted wasn't there to witness it in all its glory. Without even stopping to think about the learning that will have gone on, you've given your children such happy experiences - how lucky are they to have you in their lives?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)