Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Around Pasta

Hi! This week as part of a topic about healthy eating we will be talking about, tasting, making and playing with pasta! Can you tell me if I can pre-cook my spaghetti tonight ready for the water table as a sensory activity?! Mondays are always so hectic as we have to get everything set up again after the weekend (part of the downside of being a sessional group in a church hall!)

Also, do you put the cooked spaghetti in the table just as it is or do you add water so its all a bit sloppy?

Any other good ideas? Did wonder if I dared add it to gelli baff!!

I usually just soak it overnight so it goes soft. Sometimes I just use it as it is in a tuffspot or add it to water in the water tray (it does go slimy if left) Never tried it with the Gellibaff but you could try.

I just put it on the table but it depends how easy it would be to clear up if it ends up on the floors, probably wouldn’t advise that if you’re working in a carpeted area.

Once you’ve cooked it put it in a bowl with food colouring, whilst it's still wet, and mix by hand to coat the pasta. A selection of colours swirling about on a table can be quite effective, but don’t forget to wear gloves xD.

If you want extra messy play try doing the same with tinned spaghetti, children seem to love the feeling of it, a lot more squelchy, plus you can get a good variety of shapes :o. Just be weary of allergies with this one, we’ve got one child who has an allergy to tomatoes and the sauce you get in tinned spag/beans so we can't do it when she's in.

Matt

we just put it in dry tuff spot or water tray, adding water makes it disintigrate into a starchy puddle.

I just put in a bowl with boiling water while we are setting up and it becomes soft enough to use. I use a washing up bowl!

did this recently and children made it into balls for rolling on the tray, very easy to clean up.

Egg noodles work well too and act differently to the spaghetti

Inge

Edited by Inge

If you are using it dry then you can make necklaces out of the little tube ones this is messt with the paint but goor fine motor skills with the threading

DEb

Thanks everyone for all your comments and ideas. This week has gone really well and one of the things the children enjoyed best was making fresh pasta! (Very hard to convince them not to eat it though!). Never use the pasta machine at home, far too much faf, but ideal for nursery!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)