Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just To Share With You

Following my recent redundancy due to finish work on July 25th - I have just found out I have been successful in getting a Leader position for a small village preschool. I didn't want to lead although I have missed it, so here I go again......slightly daunted especially reading all the posts recently that are so negative about leading - with regard to the paperwork, the nursery has an administrator and a treasurer so my duties are collating and cordinating and of course planning (I know what you are thinking and all the other stuff!!!).....

should I start the EYFS in September? I thought as I am new to the setting may as well change the structure and implement the new curric then, I would welcome your comments, I realise I don't have to officially use it, but may be the perfect opportunity to start......??

Edited by Guest

Congratulations on your new job! I can't offer any advice as I'm not in FS as the moment. All the best with your new challenge.

Someboby posted a few days ago that they had spoken to Ofsted who said the EYFS can be used now but that it doesnt have to be implentated until 2008.

If the preschool is due an inspection you would be inspected on the BBT and FS as it stands now though, from what I understand.

I'd certainly start looking at it even if I didnt use it fully.

And congratulations on getting the job :oxD

Sound advice from Rea, If Ofsted are not due, I would consider looking at, and taking one step at a time of implimenting the EYFS, it could double up as a sort of staff development, staff teamwork continuous excercise. :o

Following the Ofsted comment that it can be implimented prior to 2008, I personally am going to start 'working towards' full implimentation, starting in September. My Ofsted not due again until after sept 2008.

Congratulations on your new job, the leadership role is one you are familiar with and I am sure the preschool will benefit greatly by having you at the helm. xD

Peggy

As a pre-school leader myself I think I would take some time to get to know your new group before you change anything. My guess is that whilst there are bound to be similarities with your previous post there will inevitably be individual routines, quirks etc unique to the new setting. Take time to build relationships and attend EYFS courses before attempting any changes. That way I hope you will take the existing staff with you and not cause unnecessary waves. Remember EYFS doesn't need to be in place until September 08. Take your time!

Congratulations on your appointment - you'll be great!

Guest Wolfie

Congratulations on the new job, very well deserved I'm sure! :o I agree with what everyone else is saying about implementing the EYFS but also that you should give yourself time to build relationships with the staff and "bed in" before making too many changes.

A nursery that I support have just had Ofsted and I am now thinking that when I start revamping the planning in September it'll make far more sense to use the EYFS because I know they won't be inspected under BTTM and Foundation Stage again. Check when their next Ofsted is due!

Well done, for me personally I would definitely start looking at it now - whether you implement it is another thing. As someone else said you will no doubt want to tweak your new setting slightly and if you have to then it might jsut as well to look to see if these changes are effected by the EYFS because if they are you you dont want to have to make 2 changes as that's more unsettling maybe if you could make the point in your self evaluation suggesting that you will look at the issue of XXXX when you have more info/training on the EYFS - this shows you are ahead of the game and you are aware of perhaps some of the shortcomings of the new group - if there are any. Does that make sense and it may just appease some of the staff if they felt that this had to be done not because you thought what they were doing was wrong/not good enough but that it needs to be adapted to the new EYFS - does that make sense?

Nikki

Congratulations on the new job.

A bonus of taking over at this time is that you and your staff team can embark on a new project together: getting familiar with the EYFS and discussing how best to implement it in your setting.

As for Ofsted, I was 'done' before half term and she didn't mention or ask about Birth to Three Matters once...

Maz

Oh thankyou all so much for your good wishes - you are all so kind. Ofsted are due any moment at the setting last visit 24.11.03! (present manager has just had suitable person interview? Doesn't that usually mean their are on their way)and I am being taken on in two weeks. I think if Ofsted come in the last few weeks of term - my first few weeks :oxD:( then I can feel more at ease to start to look at the EYFS for September - so it's all down to Ofsted again, :(:( I can also raise it with staff from now on and see how they all feel, make it a gradual approach rather than wam bam - thanks for all the advice, it really is appreciated.

Edited by Guest

present manager has just had suitable person interview? Doesn't that usually mean their are on their way)

Not necessarily shirel, my first inpection was 2 years after my suitable person. I think it goes by the last inspection unless there have been loads of staff changes in a short period.

Congratulations on your new job. Lots of good advice. I went on a network meeting this week as an introduction to the EYFS. The clear message was not to rush as authorities are aware that training will need to be given. It was nevertheless useful to have this overview although I won't be taking it on board as yet. Very good luck. I am sure you will do a wonderful job.

luluj

Guest tinkerbell

Well done Shire.

Take your time in settling in before making major changes...I'm sure you will be wonderful.

Tinkerbellx