Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gov's 10 Yr Strategy

Hi

I wondered if you could give me some advice to what the qualification requirements are going to be in 2010. Am i right in thinking that Supervisors will need to be a 4. Can anybody tell me where i can find information on this as we would like to be prepared for when the new regulations come into place so start training now if its needed.

We are also thinking of taking on a new deputy so wondered what qualifications they would need to have by then, any help much appreciated. Thankyou.

Don't know about that one, I'm afraid, but i'm off for my interview for the Foundation Degree tonight......................I decided that if we have to have someone in the group with this qualification, then it had just as well be me! I'll let you know how i get on!

I found this which just says 'A long-term vision that all full daycare settings are led by graduate qualified early years professionals.' HERE

Page 50 onwards on this site tells us about the workforce reforms, but even then it only says about the long term aim regarding qualifications.

here

Most of the 10 year strategy is about parents choices rather than how it's going to happen, and I couldnt see any dates for when the workforce would be lead by people with a degree just that they'd like it to be.

page 5/6 in this Unison paper suggests that a qualification framework has to be in place by 2008, so maybe levels regarding roles will not be defined until then??? :o

Interesting paper to read, found by google search.

Peggy

unison.pdf

I am probably going off on a tangent with this post but sometimes I think that a manager in a nursery may not HAVE to be a child care professional. I really believe that managers are spending less and less time with the children and more and more leadership and mangement skills are what are needed. I started my Early Years Degree last year but ended up doing policies/procedures/operational plans as my work based project and have been sitting thinking should I switch into a management degree rather than keep on going to EYP. Anyone else feel the same? I am having a meeting with the university on Monday to see what options are open but terrified to make the wrong choice --again !!!

I know exactly what you mean, Sheila. I finished my degree in Early Childhood Studies in 2004, full of the latest theories and keen to do Action Research etc. I hope I've been able to enthuse my colleagues & pass on a lot of my learning, but a management degree might have helped me more in my day-to-day work.

Hi sheila,

I can see your point of view,

I did my degree in childhood studies, but not early childhood studies, io therefore did not spend time looking at operational plans or policies as you have done. However, i feel that now ikn my role as manager i would have benefited from looking at that in my degree.

I personally feel it depends on how the manager manages the nursery, i think its important for a manager to be connected in the rooms so therefore in my opinion my degree (and NNEB) has been very useful.

If i was you i would personally stick with your degree and then do EYP. The management side you would pick up in a job anyway.

Dawn

Thanks for all your replies.

I have done the NVQ4 in management and i'm starting the degree in september. The NVQ4 in management was definitley useful in my role as Manager

Peggy and Rea - those reports make very interesting reading, be great if they reveiwed the wages as well and actually appreciated what we do. I went into school recently about a child with special needs, when i showed her all my paperwork, her reply was "I didn't think you did any of this in Pre-school" what do they think we do, just play with them!!!!!!!!!!!

"...be great if they reveiwed the wages as well and actually appreciated what we do."

I dont think you'll ever get both of those simcity. xD

There are still too many people thinking that outside of a state nursery we do play all day and that a school nursery is the only place to learn.

The rest of us, regardless of our qualifications and experience dont really mean it. Have you got a proper job? I've been told I havent.

Thats a very crude genralisiation I admit, but I still find people saying things such as you described. The Government arent about to promote the PVI sector when it's opening it's sure start centres everywhere, so I doubt the appriciation will come flooding in either.

Council NN's here in Birmingham are talking to the unions right now about their pay scales. I dont know much about scales but they have been given a level 2, the same as the lollipop man, dustman and loads others. Does that sound like appriciation?

The NN's are quite rightly unhappy at losing money (£600 a year in some cases I believe).

So if you've got a huge council unable to see the worth of the workforce why should anyone else?

Phew, that feels better :o:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)