Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Montessori Trained Teachers

I am Montessori trained. I have spent the last 6 years as a reception teacher in a non Montessori school and prior to that I worked in nurseries, some of which had a Montessori ethos and some didn't.

Every Ofsted/inspection I've been through I have received high praise for my practice. I am well respected amongst parents and staff and achieve very good results. When my EYP advisors come and visit they speak highly of my work and the joy in my class.

So why, as I move into management, are the advisers and EYPD in my area having "problems" with my qualifications? At the moment they are trying to work out what "level" they think I am, in order for me to start "requalifying"! I thought I was qualified!

Does anybody else have any experience of this? If so what happened???

Hi Tuff spot

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm dragging memory bank here, but montessori training doesn't give you QTS does it? I would imagine that's why you are being asked to 'retrain' ie get additional qualifications. I had a friend who was Montessori trained and was a super teacher, but because she didn't have a degree and QTS, she was paid as unqualified when she worked in the mainstream school sector. She had to complete a degree (which her Montessori diploma counted towards, but wasn't equivalent to), and then do the GTP in order to get QTS). Im not sure there will be any way to avoid this but perhaps others have other experiences?

no it doesn't give QTS- which is laughable really, as many Montessori trained teachers are working in schools doing exactly the same job as a QTS for half the salary!

Does anyone else find that their Montessori qualifications are not recognised and if you have done additional training what "level" did your Montessori count as?

I'm not sure if it's correct but I have been told Montessori counts as level 3 and to complete the EYPS you first need to study for a recognised degree as well as the Montessori qualification but do not necessarily have to obtain QTS.

Thanks Marion.

Soooooo, I have a Level 3 equivalent, do I need to do Level 4 before I can do the degree or can I go straight into studying for the degree? Is it nationally recognised or can authorities put their own level on it?

this

seems to indicate Montessori qualifications at level 4. You would still need a full degree to get QTS but you should be able to study part time to achieve this. Why not have a look at providers in your area and see what they will accept as a means of joining a degree programme if that is the path you have to go down.

Yes, they were well aware of my qualifications (it's an independent school). I am a qualified Montessori Teacher, more than capable of teaching in any school, that feels my qualifications, experience, character etc match what they are looking for.

As is my new employer in July.

What I'm finding frustrating is the lack of recognition outside the independent sector for a Montessori qualification. Obviously I've always known it was the black sheep of the family, but I'm slightly perturbed by HOW much!

I would have hoped that my qualification/experience/ reputation etc would count as something- but not much as far as I can tell!

My job is secure the problem lies in the "powers" that be wanting me to train- which I'm happy to do, BUT on starting a new job I'd like help and support in my role rather than a load of faffing and panicking about my qualifications.

Hi Tuffspot, I am Montessori trained too and worked running my own business overseas for 6 years before I began teaching here. I managed to persuade a state school to employ me as an unqualified teacher and started a GTP course. Would this be a way forward for you. I was quite an experienced teacher when I did it, but less used to the bureaucratic demands we have to put up with than I am now. The hardest thing in the year for me was having to write extensive plans for everything I did, as when I worked for myself my planning reflected my own needs rather than having to provide a paper trail for management and OFSTED. Aside from that I had to attend a few sessions at the Uni after school, be observed by a mentor from my school every other week and by one from the Uni monthly. I also had to write 3 papers during the year of (I think) a couple of thousand words. It might be if you went down this route the Uni would be able to recognise the work and experience you have and adapt the course according to your needs. I think it's definately worth a try. Then the worst you would have to do is go and sit the QTS literacy, numeracy and ICT tests and you'd be away. I do feel for you, having been in a similar situation. But hopefully a bit of lateral thinking might sort it, if only more people were able to think like Maria Montessori eh! :o Good Luck!

AOB

Hi Tuffspot

My boss is having the same problem she is awaiting her suitable persons interview for her new nursery and as they dont seem recognise her Montessori qualification she is going back into learning and she has just been accepted on the foundation degree. She has a wealth of experience and 12 years of Montessori teaching behind her and doesnt understand why this doesnt stand for something.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)