Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Has Anyone Taught Volcanoes As Their Topic? Any Ideas Or Planning Appr

my children are really interested in volcanoes... however, I am struggling to find ideas for teaching this as a mini-topic. We are currently doing paper mache volcanoes and we have done the experiments with flour, viniger, bicarb etc. The children loved this! but need more ideas...

Thank you

Rachel

I used the book Tom and the Island of the Dinosaurs which is set on a Volcanic Island which is about to erupt. we build our theme around it and made a wonderful role-play area. it would also appeal to your Y1 and make a good story for your literacy planning

If you add vinegar to baking powder you can make a volcano you only need a little bit of each and it fizzes over great

Deb

When we made volcanoes at Beavers we added red food colouring to the bicarb and vinegar. It was pretty gruesome. We also changed the size of the hole in the lid to see if theat made a different sort of explosion.

Do you have any photographs of your role play area?:-) sounds amazing! Do you have a copy of your planning of this theme that I could take a look at?

Thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)