Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Tasks

Hi there,

Just wondering of others do assessment task for some of the profile points. For some children I don't have have evidence for KUW 6 , knowing other cultures. Do others have any good activities to set up for this.

I do not set up specific tasks.

As the profile is supposed to be from 80% child initiated activity.... we are also not supposed to test children in foundation stage.... its one of those things.... if you haven't got the evidence then you can't tick it off.

so then, do you set up your learning areas/environment so you can find evidence for example KUW and knowing culture

You know your children... are they aware of other cultures?

My class is made up of children from a wide multicultural background- so I'd say that yes all my class could get a tick for KUW6 with out me so much as considering whether I should provide opportunity for exploration of other cultures.

My sister on the other hand lives in a British-white middle class village where the chances of anyone who didn't vote Tory/Lib Dem would be hounded out of town- Let alone anyone from an alternative culture, religion, or sexual preference. In this instance one would hope that the teachers in this village are providing sources of KUW6.

Having said all the above how you actually "assess" is beyond me!

Anyway a few ideas that you may be able to use:

Food- look at food from different cultures, how food is used in different cultures, how children eat in different parts of the world.

Homes: Look at different homes around the world.

Marriage: Look at different weddings, the ceremony, the colours, the time, why, how etc.

Clothes: Different clothes around the world, why they are different

Hope this helps a bit.

Im struggling with cultural differences. We have pupils of different nationalObservation Assessment and Planningites anf faiths but no one sees the difference.

I also would like an activity to assess PD 9. My Reception class seem to be performing at the same standard as my year 1. Am I unable to see the difference?

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Lauralpey

The DVD FEstivals 1 and 2 can be a good way to introduce different cultures to your children, it follows several festivals and a family as they prepare at home and school and the religious place of worship.

My class loved finding out about Australia last summer as we had a boy emigrating there.We started with a mind map what we knew, what we wanted to find out., we learned songs ,tasted food,looked at landscapes and architecture eg Ayres rock,Sydney harbour bridge...animals,birds etcI also introduced the aborigine people to the class through their dreamtime stories and found a link to an Aborigine school just outside Adelaide we compared their website to ours.

Tinkerbellx

I think this can be a really tricky one to assess in some contexts. Our school is in the leafy suburbs, almost all white middle class and Christian families. The children don't naturally have the opportunity to develop their understanding of other cultures and differences. Again, I use the DVD. festivals, make sure I have lots of multi cultural books and invite visitors so am sure that they have been introduced but it isn't easy to get a feel for their obvious understanding.

Last year we had a little boy in the class who mother was from Israel. He enjoyed sharing songs and phrases in Hebrew which the children joined in with so I felt more secure in my assessments than I do this year

I usually try and talk about the visitors/videos with the children and ask them questions during circle times etc and go with my gut feelings and knowledge of the children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)