Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Planning

H. all I have just been reading the new EYFS looks good to me!

I will be managing a new mixed aged setting 2 to 4years from September and dont know if I should start using the EYFS to plan from is anyone else using and if so have they planning formats?

I wouldn't advise you start using it yet, as it's not mandatory until September 2008. In fact i read somewhere - probably on here! - that Ofsted have been quoted as saying they will be inspecting to the ECM Outcomes until August 31st 2008, and anyone not working to that will be in trouble! - Or similar words.

Sue

advice is to continue using current format for planning until sept 2008 when EYFS comes in,

Inspections will still be completed using foundation profile and BBTM until then,

also to wait until training has been given on EYFS

Inge

Guest Wolfie

I have heard the same as Sue -you need to work to the existing frameworks - BTTM, Foundation Stage guidance, National Standards, etc. - until August 2008, as that is what you will inspected to by Ofsted until the new framework becomes mandatory.

As for planning (and assessment) formats, I think that we're all hoping for the impossible.......a format devised and approved by the same body of people that have developed the EYFS, something that is recommended on a national scale so that we can all rest assured that we have "got it right"! But I don't think that's going to happen - and I CAN understand the view that settings shouldn't have all their individuality taken away from them. and should be able to use what works best for them. However, I think planning and assessment formats and paperwork cause early years professionals a lot of stress and heartache, especially if they lack confidence in their abilities, and a nationally approved scheme would put a lot of minds at rest.

Whilst I completely agree with you Wolfie, we have worked long and hard juggling and tweaking to come up with a system that we are happy and comfortable with. I feel that it will transfer to the new EYFS quite smoothly with a minimum of adjustments required, but then, we are a confident setting with some very strong practitioners. (not that we're bigheaded, you understand..... :o )

I'm looking forward to the 'new' way of going on with some interest!

Sue

Guest toddleo

Oh Wolfie, I would so LOVE what you said in your post to happen, wouldn't that be just fantastic? we spend ages faffing about with different layouts for our planning, trying to show that we use our children's interests to inform our planning, but it never seems quite right! i would love someone to say, right, here's the forms, just do it!!!

I can see everyones point, but after speaking to our Early years advisor we have begun the process of developing our paperwork, and as soon as we are satisfied with it we will be discussing the transition with staff and implementing it. Our Early years team do not believe this to be a problem as the EYFS is an improvement on exsisting frameworks and so we will still be covering the values.

I am not concerned about the training our settings have only recently attended the B23 training despite implementing it previously without a problem. I suppose it depends on whether you feel confident and comfortable with what you learn from reading the framework.

So as i said when we as a setting feel ready we will then implement it, which will definately be before august as that is only when it becomes compulsory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)