Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Registration

TORO

Hi, i am new to the forum, and am very glad that that i came across it, it is so full of information which I am finding useful already.

i am hoping to start running a small pre-school, provided i get registered by ofsted, i am a bit nervous about the pending visit by the inspector, and do not know how to prepare for the interview, or what sort of questions they will ask from me. l have advertised in my local newsapaper for a suitable manager with NQV level 3, but the response has not been great.

i have 2 applicants that might be suitable, but i am not sure whether the 2 years experience needed, should be post qualified, and should they also have supervisory experience. one of the applicant is quite eager to learn, and has been a room leader in her previous work, does it matter that she is aged 26, would the inspector think she is too young?

i do not have nvq level 3 myself, but l am working towards it.

The setting will be in a church hall from 8am to 2pm daily, can anyone who also operate from a church premises advise me on how to divide the hall to separate areas, so that all the children can fully utilise the activities that will be provided, bearing in mind the age differences.

i have written all the necessary policies and procedures as stated in the national standards for day nursery.

please help :o

Hi Toro

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to welcome you to the forum and thanks for posting.

Lots of questions there, which I am sure will get answered by many people. It's great to see a new pre-school being opened-many have struggled to survive and lots have gone by the wayside. So it is really positive news to know that you are looking to start one off.

What age range are you hoping to take? Do you have access to just one room? You really need at least a quiet area, a messy area and somewhere the children can let off steam. Do you have access to an outside play area? Are there partitions you can use or will you have to use your furniture imaginatively to section off the room? Sorry about this-I seem to be asking more questions than giving answers. Just trying to build a picture of the sort of space you have.

I don't think the age of your applicants will make a difference-their qualifications and experience are more important. If she has been a room leader she may have had some supervisory experience.

Have you got a date for your inspection and when do you hope to open?

Linda

Hi Toro,

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you've got an exciting if daunting time ahead of you. I am in Scotland and we have different regulations but from what I've read OFSTED aren't the ogres you might imagine. I'm sure they'll be only too happy to guide you in the right direction. What age of children are you catering for? If you're in a church hall I'm presuming you'll have to clear all the equipment away after each session. Another consideration is storage space. We use alot of light weight room dividers to separate different areas. You can get these from most main educational suppliers like Galt, Hope, or NES Arnold.

Hi Toro -

Just to join in with Linda and Beau, welcome to the forum! :D

One other question - have you been in touch with your EYDCP yet? They are there to help and advise, so you might as well take advantage of their free help! :)

It sounds like you're doing everything very well at the moment, and we'll all be here when you need any specific advice, so come back regularly!

We have plenty of sample policies here as well, so take some time to look through them to see if any are appopriate to your setting.

Good luck - it must be an exciting as well as unnerving time for you! :)

Hi Toro

I started my own group last september, and I must say OFSTED were brilliant! also my EYDCP were fantastic, coming out to visit me and taking me through the process step by step.

It is very daunting but very much worth it in the end :D

Good luck with your new venture :)

Cherry x

Hi Toro, and welcome to the forum :D

You really don't need to do extra preparation for the meeting with the inspector. He or she will discuss various things with you, and if there are things that you haven't thought about before, you can then make plans to put these into place. The meeting is not a test to see if you are completely ready, it's just the first stage of the process. If there are things which s/he would like to see done before you open, then you just need to get them done! From meeting other practitioners who have gone through this, it really does seem to be the case that the inspector is supportive and understanding. They are, after all, hoping that more and more settings are going to open to provide the required childcare and education that the government has promised :o

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. One thing that you hadn't mentioned in your post is the Birth to Three Matters and Foundation Stage Curriculum Guidance documents; are you very familiar with these? These will be the basis of all your curriculum planning, and you do need a thorough knowledge.

Hi Toro & welcome onboard!

I can't give you any specific advice as I'm a Reception teacher but it sounds like a very exciting project and I hope you can get yourself sorted and up and running but sounds as if you must be well on the way.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how things progress.

Susan

hi everyone

l thank you all for your prompt and invaluable advice, and will definitely keep you in touch with any new developments, now to answers some of the questions asked, i hope to cater for children between the ages of 2-5, there is no outside play area, but there is a local park nearby which i intend to use.

l have been reading books on curriculum planning for pre-school, and also found the article on the site useful as well. and my local early years have been supportive.

l sorry but i do have a couple of more questions to ask :o . The church presently run a mother and toddlers group on wednesdays in the church hall between the hours of 9-12, which the pastor informed is very popular in the area, and as such intends in running which is fair enough, but the problem l am facing is that although they have given me another area in the church to use, the worship area of the church, l am worried that the inspector might not be too pleased about moving the children every wednesday, and also the M & T group is open access i.e strangers coming in without any checks.

The measures l have in place for this is to have regular liason with the M@T leader, and aslo to encourage them to have a sign in and out book, i am not sure about what else l can do to convince the inspector that it is workable, b/c l reaaly do not want to be register for 4 days only any advice please?.

The other question :) the Cache diploma in pre-school practice is it equivlent to NVQ Level 3?

cheers all

toro xD

Does the worship area have enough space for you to set up. Does the Pastor not mind messy play in this area. Is the church hall joined to the worship area or can it be secured to prevent open access. You could put a buzzer on the which activates if the door is accidentally opened. If you don't have your own toilets each child will have to be taken to the toilet.This would mean you may have to employ another staff member on this day. Could you finish earlier so the M&T group could meet after say 1.30-3.00. Three hours is a very long time for a toddler group or is it used as "a drop in centre"

I hope you get this matter sorted out and I wish you very good luck in your new venture. There are lots of members here who run from church halls including myself. So please ask if you need any advice.

To answer your last question first, the DPP is a level 3. I have 2 members of staff who have done this and one is my deputy and the other a senior assistant. So, if I am not in pre-school my deputy takes over and the senior assistant is next in charge. If we are both absent the senior assistant is in charge.

I think you would need to see what OFSTED have to say about the fact that you have to move to accomodate the toddler group. It's one of those things that are peculiar to you and inspectors have their own views. I think it is one of those bridges you will have to cross when they come.

I think it is very exciting for you-I would love to find other premises locally and open a new group, we are crying out for good pre-schools in this area. If I could find the right building I would open another tomorrow!!

Linda

I think the important thing is to show you're thinking about it and are willing to do what is necessary to make it work. You've already identified possible drawbacks and relevant safety issues and have been thinking through the solutions. I think the Inspector will recognise and appreciate the time and thought you are putting into this. Godd luck! :)

Hi TORO!

Welcome aboard and very good luck with your project. As has been noted, it's great to see somewhere opening!

Nothing really to add at present, but will be rooting for you - Ofsted Inspectors are not ogres, so don't worry too much on that score !

In fact, one of my best friends is one!! :o

Sue :D

• 2 weeks later...

Toro,

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll be fine! :) Did you manage to get a satisfactory solution to your problem with the change of venue due to the toddler group? You must be so busy at the moment trying to get everything set up but remember to let us know what happens. :)