Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health Questionnaire For Interviewees

I've just read stuff on the DFES newsletter that gives links to info about how schools and training bodies should ensure staff/students are fit for the job. To be honest I haven't been sure how preschools etc should do it since it was taken out of the OFSTED checks ages ago. There's been little or no guidance from our advisors either.

I'd be very interested to hear what people in other settings do!

I have just got a new job as a Supervisor of a sessional pre-school and Ofsted sent me a health questionnaire which has to be checked and signed by my GP too! I know that the Chairman also had to go through this procedure. But I am unsure whether the other staff have been health checked?? Maybe the PLA or similar could give advice, or maybe there could be a health declaration part in the application form??

Jenni

One of the recomendations by our OFSTED inspector just last week was that we had a more comprehensive health check form. She said that we didn't have to have a letter from a GP nor did staff have to undergo a medical. Our form is very simple and she said that we needed more detail. I am waiting for our advisor to bring one in for me. But if anybody else has anything they are willing to share I would be very grateful.

Linda

:o-->

QUOTE(Jenni B @ May 16 2007, 13:38) 94668[/snapback]
I have just got a new job as a Supervisor of a sessional pre-school and Ofsted sent me a health questionnaire which has to be checked and signed by my GP too! I know that the Chairman also had to go through this procedure. But I am unsure whether the other staff have been health checked?? Maybe the PLA or similar could give advice, or maybe there could be a health declaration part in the application form??

Jenni

I had to fill one in last month. £ 40 for the doctor to check and sign!

Our LEA produced one as so many settings were having this raised locally... thiers is based on the Ofsted one, almost identical except for the doctors certificate/medical bit perhaps you could use that to make one of your own,

Ofsted were particularly interested in ensuring everyone declared how much they drank each week and it they used recreational drugs, it was one question they looked for on the forms whan checking them

Follow this link to a previous post with a copy of the Ofsted one, provided by Peggy.

Inge

That was precisely what she was after Inge-how much they drank, did they use drugs, did they have any mental health problems. I did tell her that I felt it was an invasion of privacy asking about the drugs and alcohol and that I wondered how honest people would be. She just said that as we as owners/managers are now responsible for making checks we needed to ensure we asked the questions. If they then lied then that was their responsibilty and if an incident happened due to a member of staff not being able to do their job because of drugs or alcohol and they had signed the form then there would be no comeback on me.

Linda

I've been thinking about this again, after talking to OH who is in HR, and would like to raise a couple more questions, if that's OK:

A) Is there a sense in which sucha questionnaire might infringe an individual's human rights? I'm unsure of the relevant legislation but I'm sure new legislation has come in since the OFSTED origianl was devised and

:o What legislation etc should there be reference to on the questionnaire itself? Apart from the obvious 'confidential'?

dont know about the human rights but this request from Ofsted is from inspections after the changes to whos responsibiltyto check suitability, so not so long ago.

Perhaps reference to Data Protection Act is suitable as well as confidentiality policy of setting.

Linda, I too fought for our rights and got exactly same response, If they then lied then that was their responsibilty and they had signed the form then there would be no comeback on me.

Inge

Thanks for the link Inge, after my computer crashed I had lost that form, interestingly I scanned through it and thought, I wonder if the telephone number is up to date??? I do know it has changed recently and need to change it on all my references to Ofsted contact details.

I agree that 'rights' need to be considered, confidentiality, data protection and also legislation on Freedom of Information Act.

As employers an employee may not have disclosed say an alcohol problem ( would you???!!!) because they have 'declared' they haven't got a problem, yet subsequantly it transpires that they have, I don't think this exempts employees of responsibility to ensure staff are fit to work 'on a daily basis' so to speak.

I once noticed that a member of staff appeared to be 'vague' in her mannerisms ( spelling!!) one day, on her health check she had declared being on medication for depression. However, when I asked her if she was ok, she then informed me that her medication had changed and she was adjusting to it, had I not noticed, I beleive, if a child had suffered due to her 'health factors' irrespective of whether she had disclosed them or not, I would be as responsible for not ensuring MY staff were suitable to do their role. I sent her home and said not to come back until she was fuly fit to work. ( does that all make sense??)

I personally use the information on health declarations more to ensure the wellbeing of my staff, ie: medical needs, rather than to 'judge' their ability to work ( which I assess on a daily basis)

Peggy