Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Supervision Policy

Hi, I have just been on more training and we were told that we need to put in place a staff supervision policy, basically that we do meetings with staff throughout the year as well as the appraisal. Does anybody else do this?

I've been advised to do supervision meetings on a management course I did. The idea was that, if done well, they would make the appraisal process more meaningful, less work in a sense [because you have quite a lot of material in place before the appraisal] and therefore less stressful. It certainly wasn't recommended that we have a policy about it, though.

I don't have a policy but I do a review once a term if I remember just to make sure everyone is happy with what is going on and bring up any issues that might need addressing. It only lasts about 10 mins but again it is OFSTED who like to see it, I don't think there is any need for a policy though I agree with chill it is getting beyond ridiculous the amount of paperwork that is stores and rarely looked at

DEb

Guest Wolfie

I had a Supervision Contract, which I drew up whilst working towards the PLA Accreditation award. I found it useful to have these quick chats wuth staff on a regular basis and it did stop any issues that were building up becoming too big.

Supervision_contract.doc

Edited by Wolfie

In my last management post I used Supervision Contracts.

It was different to Wolfie's in that both the supervisor and supervisee had to bullet point what they expected from one another, e.g. honesty, confidentiality, etc.

Just discussed this today with my QA verifier. As I understand it supervision is totally seperate from appraisal.

Appraisal being about job description, contract and professional development and supervision more on the lines of the employees 'wellbeing'.

If you think about it some staff are at work for more 'waking' hours than they are at home. A supervision is about asking "how are things with you"?, Do you have any queries, say about any new changes that have been implimented ( because we are constantly changing ways we work, even tiny little things on a daily basis). Things may happen at home, ie: a staff members child changes from Junior to secondary school so now the staff member is available for later shifts and would like an opportunity to discuss this. The staff member has been allocated a new task, maybe to be responsible for displays, supervision meetings would enable the staff member to clarify, to ask for resources she has discovered she needs etc. Another conversation may be about how a staff member feels about another staff member, maybe they feel they are being bulied, or are covering others work, or there is a clique forming and she feels left out. Could be a quick chat about a recent workshop they attended, how did it go, was the timing ok with home life, if different to normal work hours. etc.

I discussed with my verifier how I did supervision on a termly basis, she suggested more informal (because my supervision was too much like an appraisal) and more regularly, about every 6 weeks, especially with new staff. I keep an achievement 'scrapbook' for each member of staff, a bit like the childrens achievement files, these include photo's of staff at work, peer observations and now I am going to add a page to include supervision notes. 10 minute meeting max.

Peggy Minter

p.s. The verifier confirmed that my Module Business and Management has passed and I will now be awarded the Kent Quality Assurance certificate for this module. It took 18 months to do and although it has been useful, I am glad it's finished. :o

Thanks for all your replies. I do agree how many policies do we need!!!!!!!!

Peggy that sounds exactly like they were telling us on the course i attended but we were also told to put a policy in place to back it up. Congratulations on getting your assurance certificate for your module, well done!

Thanks simcity, I think when it comes to paperwork, its only useful if it will be used, read, reviewed etc. So decide can you do an 'add on' to another already established policy, say your grievance policy, add a bit stating how supervisions are a system to proactively manage sutuations before they become a grievance.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)