Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Children Through 0-3 And Early Foundation Stage - Ideas&#33

Our setting is very keen to track children's progress through 0-3 and to early Foundation Stage. Could anyone please share any info or format or I'll be spending all my Bank Holiday at this computer tearing my hair out!!

Thanks all you wonderful people.

Oh dear! No replies. :o I do hope you have some hair left in. xD I'm going to move this out of the dedicated reception and year 1 area but not sure where to! I'll pick one and hope for the best. :(

• 1 month later...

2 packages available from focus-education.co.uk

1. Striding through the stepping stones - guide for nursery and Reception teachers £95

2. Foundation stage tracker £200

You can view pages/demo on their website. Might be worth looking at.

Guest Wolfie

Sunshine, I've been thinking about this very issue this afternoon! The nursery I support have just had an Oftsed and won't be "done" again until after the implementation of the EYFS in Sept 2008 so I'm now considering ways to move across to assessments against the statements in the new EYFS. I'm sure plenty of companies will jump on the bandwagon and produce commerical assessment and record keeping systems but I think it'll be much simpler and easier to develop our own, if a bit timje consuming whilst setting it up! As with collecting evidence of learning for the present Foundation Stage and linking it to stepping stones, so we should be able to observe and assess against the statments from birth onwards?

We have individual Learning Stories for all our children which are portfolios containing observations, photos and any "end products", e.g. drawings (if they REALLY do show evidence of development/learning/achievement...I'm much keener on evidence of processes than end products!) - a real celebration of each child's learning and development. These are then linked to appropriate stepping stones in the six areas of learning and when we feel that we have enough evidence for an individual stepping stone we date it to say that it has been achieved. I think what I shall do is do exactly the same from birth now, taking the staements directly from the EYFS document.

On a separate note, I've had experience of Striding Through the Stepping Stones and found it very time consuming and unwieldy!!

With the introduction of the EYFS we shall just be using one framework from birth which I think is much better -there will be no transition from BTTM to Foundation Stage. The wide and overlapping development stages in the new document also help to highlight the very individual nature of each child's learning and development which is good.

Sorry, I seem to have rambled a bit! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)