Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Beach

Not much help on field trip ideas I'm afraid - but welcome to the forum. I am sure that others will be of help.

Not much help on field trip ideas I'm afraid - but welcome to the forum. I am sure that others will be of help.

Thanks, any ideas would be of use...teaching ideas in the classroom following the trip. I am supposed to be covering this topic for the next 5 weeks!!!

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

Welcome to the forum...I'm just jealous that you CAN do a trip to the beach! Whereabouts are you? And how old are the children that you are taking?

Welcome to the forum...I'm just jealous that you CAN do a trip to the beach! Whereabouts are you? And how old are the children that you are taking?

Hey there, thank you!! I know I am lucky. I live in beautiful Pembrokeshire. I am taking children aged 4 to 7. They will be exploring rock pools for living things, investigating shells and pebbles as well as looking at the geographical features. I am a trainee teacher, so any ideas would be extremely useful.

Hi Sarahjayne, patterns in the sand, big writing, patterns, sizes and shapes of shells, looking for creatures, counting the waves (they say every 7th one is a big one!) Sand castles, tunnels, beach combing. Foot prints, animals prints, worm piles (if thats what they're called) seaweed. Look where the shells have come from as with flotsam and jetsam found.

Looking after the environment can be included, loads of stuff in the sea is a hazard to marine life. An article on the news recently showed people on a small island somewhere making a whale out of flip flops, the most widely discarded item apparently. xD

Collect interesting things to take back to school to look at. Link it to stories, commotion in the ocean, and if you've an Ikea near by I've just bought some finger puppets, 10 for £3.99 loads of different sea creatures. 'Dear Greenpeace' was recommended to me by Sue R but I cant remember the author. Theres a book about a whale too. Loads of sea songs, a sailor went to sea sea sea to see what he could see see see..., she sells sea shells on the sea shore, ...Well I cant think of any more.

Wish I was near a beach :o

You are very brave if you take the kids to the beach!! A few years ago in our infinite wisdom we took 150 children to the beach 2 reception classes, 2 Year 1 classes and 2 year 2 classes. At the time I had Year 2. We went to Burnham on Sea, the closest beach, which was about an hour and a half away. So we got everyone to the toilet before we went, then half way had to stop at a service station for some to go to the toilet, so took everyone - very funny I have to say. So by the time we got to the beach it was about 11.30, and children needed to go to the toilet again!! Then we had lunch, went to the toilet (again) and had about half an hour to play on the beach, look at an old lighthouse and rockpool, before we all had to go to the toilet ready for the bus to pick us up to take us back to school. So all in all we spent about an hour on the beach, 4 on a bus and the rest in the toilet!!! Not a great trip, but always a good story to tell about awful trips!!! Hope you spend more time on the beach than us. LOL

A trip to the beach is well beyond possible for most of us - although our year 2 class has done it for the past two years - a longer day than usual and supported by the headteacher but thought to be well worth while by all.

For my nursery class this year I am trying to plan a beach themed fun day - and bring as much of the beach experience to nursery as I can! Thinking of donkey rides, punch & judy show, paddling pools, lots of sand...

If anyone has any experiences / suggestions for the day I would love to hear them.

I do the seaside as my 2nd half summer topic and we compare it to where we live. We also look at victorian swimming costumes and compare them with what we wear now. This is Reception age by the way. Quite got coz I cover a lot of History and Geog elements that way too.

There is also a book called sally the limpet which is a good book cant remember the author in the process of moving so not sure if i will find it in time for your topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We visit the beach each summer with our reception and year1/2 classes. We take throw away BBQ's and cook sausages and burgers for a treat which the children love. They make a sand sculpture ( with a lot of help) and then we produce sand pictures when we return to school. It is nice to make the role play area in to an undersea world you can make tanks from plastic bottles and masks from egg cartons. You can then use the books of the Rainbow fish.

I would love to see anyones planning for the seaside topic as this is my first year teaching after having graduated from being a teaching assistant after 5 long yeasr at college doing my degree part time.

Many thanks Joan

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

You could look at patterns - sea shells, fish, waves and ripples etc. Also paint pebbles from the beach to make paperweights. Make seaside music with a ocean drum, wooden giros for barnicles, triangles for little waves etc? Look at the story of punch and judy (we have hand puppets and a mini theatre from ELC), Sorting and counting pebbles, adding pebbles together and taking them away, Making sand art using little food colouring bottles and coloured sand from most craft shops, make paper ice creams and ice lollies (see Summer things to make and do book by Usborne) - love their seashore crabs using kitchen foil and tissue paper! Magic beach by Alison Lester is another lovely story. Draw and describe where the children go when they follow the path lit by the silver moon. Make a shopping list of things the children should pack if they are going to the beach. Send Travelling ted to the beach and receive postcards from him weekly - where is he, what is he doing next etc. Children can write a reply on a postcard style writing frame.

Remember a time when you went to the beach and compare this with the experience of the children in the story.

Imagine that you enter the world of a seashell. Describe your adventure in the shell.

Read some myths about the sea - mermaids, pirates, greek legends - sing sea shantys.

Investigate light houses and boats - Make boats using recycled materials and have a boat race to see what floats and what sinks - how could they make their boat better?

Read sharing a shell by Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks which has lots of great underwater pictures to inspire children.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)