Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So Fed Up

As some of you will know, I handed my notice in 2 weeks ago. I asked if at all possible to leave earlier than my notice. My boss has yet to speak to me face to face about any of it!! (e-mails only) My leaving do was arranged for tomorrow night (by her) and all the releif staff were contacted and asked to cover from next week (by her)......so i thought that was that. Then this morning the boss says no actually you cant go because I am upping the staff to 5 per session from next week and its too much pressure to cover me too (this is via e-mail too)!!! One of the reasons for my departure was because I felt that money (90K loan) was taking priority over the children and that by cutting the staff and increasing the children was detrimental to the pre-school!! So although I am chuffed for the reamaining staff that she is finally doing what I have been asking her to do for the past 4 months (increase staff), why so suddenly?!

All the staff are so miserable because they dont want me to go, but my feelings are that they all must feel that other things in the setting arnt right otherwise they wouldnt be so upset!!! I dont wish to put pressure on the other staff by making them cover my sessions as we are already stretched due to two other level 3 staff leaving in the past 12 months and not being replaced! They havent even advertised for my replacement yet!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spent most of this week (and last) in tears due to feeling like I am being dangled like a carrot, not being told anything, not being told if I can leave, my leaving do being organised for me before I have left, letters not being copied to me etc. I have 10 key children and need to see their parents to run through the foundation stage profile, but have been asked to do that in my own time!! Have I gone mad, is this normal behaviour????

So sorry for the long wafflely rant but I needed to get that off my chest!!!!!!!!

Jenni

Please try to stay sane. I know it can be a nightmare at the moment - pre-schools just seem to have so may pressures. Committees / Bosses - seem to make decisions and just expect staff to implement them, however impratical. I am sure the children have £ signs on their heads some time and they never look at the real reason we all do the job the CHILD.

probably very controversial and I am sure some of the other lovely people here can tell you more - how long have you still got to work.

I've had it done to me several times - where staff have just decided not to return. the best one because I couldn't give her a day off she quit there and then and never seen again. also heard of a case where a letter was left in the milk crate with uniform saying bye... I was always told nothing I could do if someone does not come back.

Stay sane - you are upset because you care.

Tess

Hi Jenni,

Sorry to hear about your predicament and how upsetting you are finding it all. My advice to you is firstly to sort out in your mind those things you have control over and those you don't. What happens after you leave regarding the other members of staff, staffing levels etc are really not your concern any longer. You obviously felt you had very good reasons for handing in your notice at the time - keep this in mind!! As to your leaving do - again, that has been arranged and the best you can do is go along, be positive and leave in a friendly manner. Its never a good idea to make enemies as you never know when this may work against you in the future.

When you wrote your letter of resignation, did you put the date on it and also, what exactly is the length of notice you are required to give? Unfortunately, this is legally binding, so if the manager decides not to let you go earlier than this, then there is nothing you can do. However, it might be worth sending another letter asking for clarification on the date you will be leaving - make sure you are clear that the last date this may be is the end of your notice period. Also ask if any thought has been given as to how you will be handing over your work and responsibilities to the relevant parties.

As to whether you decide to meet with parents, knowing that you won't be paid is entirely up to you. No one has the right to ask you to work unpaid - the ball is in your court here!

Instead of feeling helpless and miserable, take control of the matter yourself. There is nothing worse than feeling your life is in someone else's hands. :o

Agree with Carol, sound advice....

also can you work out if you still have any holiday entitlement due...this can also have effect on day you can leave as perhaps you could ask for these to be included in your resignation period. length of notice depends on your contract of employment. Some can be quite long, but as employer I would rather let people leave early than have someone who really did not want to do the job.

whenever I have given written notice i have told them the date I would be leaving taking all this into account so I knew where I stood, husband does the same..if you were changing jobs you would have to let new employer have a start date.

despite contracts we too have had people just not turn up....one left mid session in a storm and we still do not know why xD (think it was because I put my foot down as manager and told her she could not do something, and pulled her up a few times for minor things), others left with little or one day notice....

staff have always pulled together and covered shifts until someone suitable found

They had just better hope they never need a reference from me :o , and this may well be a good enough reason to continue to do the best you can of a bad situation...you may well need a reference from them in future.

And remember it will not last forever there had to be a good reason to want to leave..focus on that and your eventual freedom from the stress.

Inge

Just wanted to send you my best wishes. It is awful to be so unhappy at work - it takes over your life.

I felt exactly the same in my last job - money was the priority over children - which completely goes against my values (but then again it wasn't my business!).

I know it's hard to see but the end is in sight. All I wanted to do was enjoy my last few days with the wonderful children - but some people even make that a struggle don't they.

I'm only a stone's throw away if you need a cuppa - something stronger :o

Take care of yourself - it sounds like you are doing the best thing by getting out x

I'd do what Beau suggested, take control. Tell them when your leaving date is based on the notice you know you have to work, and then go.

It might be hard leaving things when you know they arent as they should be, but better communications with you from the management could have releived that.

The other staff will cope or the managemnet will just have to make other arrangemnets, dont worry about that aspect of things, once you've gone, you've gone and no-one will blame you for the extra work.

Speak to your parents too if you're worried, tell them you're leaving but that their childs next keyworker will be capable of taking over and they will be announed shortly.

Thats all you can do really, hope the leaving do goes well xD:o

lots of sound advice already, just wanted to say this will all soon be a distant memory, and try to look to YOUR future. :o

Peggy

Sorry you're feeling so miserable, some great advice already, take control. Could you say that you'd be delighted to update your key children's parents during work time?

Bear in mind that this is a difficult transition time and you will come out the other side because of who you are.

Lots of virtual empathy coming your way, been there and unfortunately I am there again in a short space in a new job, awful isn't it, hang on in there! :o

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I am feeling better today. They have now told me that I have one more week to go, it was just basically a break down in communcations (again!), and I hated the feeling of not knowing what was going on. A few of the parents were as confused as me and bought me in presents today, I had to tell them that they had me for another week! xD

The staff seemed less down today too, they just need to be appreciated and they will all be fine!!

Hopefully my leaving will spur the 'powers that be' to do just that! :o

I would never not do the key worker meetings because I owe that to the children and parents. Plus the fact that I have spent alot of time and effort on them!! So if I have to do them in my own time I will.

Still the last few weeks have shown me that I have definately made the right decision, even though I will miss the lovely staff and children!!, It has also hammered home that the most import resource in any setting is the staff, not the toys/equipment or the building!!

So glad you are feeling more positive today. Only one more week to go and that will pass in no time. Hope you have a lovely leaving do - treasure the good memories that you have, I'm sure there are many. :o