Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water Tray

I am fairly new to reception class and having great fun with lots of different activities, although I do seem to run out of ideas for sand and water play. Have read the sand topic messages - lots of inspiration for sand play - thanks, can't wait to try them out, especially the socks! Does anyone have any ideas for water play. I have used the usual equipment, measuring with different containers, fishing for various objects and blowing bubbles - which was great fun. Also could you let me know how often you change the activities in the water tray - at the moment I tend to see how popular an activity is and perhaps have the same activity for 2 or 3 days. Thank you. Diane

:o

you can find the water topics here

and a short one here

this one was not well responded to, so maybe there are other ideas memebrs can add now that it has been brought back to our attentionand

You will find odd mentions to water in other topics too if you want to put 'water' into search.

hope that helps

:o

Thanks for the ideas, being a new user I didn't realise this topic had already been discussed (still finding my way around!). Looking forward to trying these out when we go back. Diane

• 3 weeks later...

We made our water tray into a pond for '5 Little Ducks.' We put in pebbles, dyed the water,a dn put in a bit of pond weed, then had a focussed activity in there on adding and subtracting. We left the resources in for the next couple of weeks, and the childrne really enjoyed returning and singing the song indep.

Hi Emma (Ihope!) and welcome. I don't think I've welcomed you in before although I can see you've made a few posts.

Thats a lovely idea. my children always sabotage any attempts to do those sorts of things. I wonder why? :o

Susan

Hi Susan, and thanks for the welcome. We make sure that we model everything with the children first, and then they seem to be ok. In our setting one of our rules is that the children tidy up something if they have finished playing with it, and I think this also helped.

One of my newer and more disruptive children really enjoyed the water,

and got a lot out of it though! :)

• 2 weeks later...

During a topic on animals we filled the whole water tray with bird seed and added scoops, sieves and water wheels. The next week we used some of the bird seed to make bird feeders (dip pine cones in melted lard or unsalted peanut butter and then dip in the bird seed and hang up).

We have tried glitter in the water with pieces of foil and shiny ribbon. We add sieves and colanders and separated the shiny bits from each other.

For measuring, we put in film cannisters and mark lines on shampoo bottles with permanent pen to show where 1 cannister will fill to, or two etc.

We put play people in the water tray and give a range of recycled materials so that children can work out which shape / material makes the beat boat.

Sponges are good fun with water wheels, sieves. potato masher etc.

A little brusho powder is good for colouring the water ( a little goes a very long way).

We also have a kit called 'Build a boat' which gives good construction play in the water. :)

"During a topic on animals we filled the whole water tray with bird seed and added scoops, sieves and water wheels. "

Brings back memories for me! I did something similar in my first year of teaching, with a sack of rolled oats (horse feed) The children loved it, but unfortunately within a few weeks, so did a local herd of mice. I was not a bit popular with the caretaker............ :o

A Investigative activity.

you could use empty baby food jars in the water tray. The chidlren 1/2 fill the jar with water, then use pippettes of coloured liquid to change the clear water in the jars. They are fasinated by the way the colour swirls around and mixes till it becomes concentrated. they tehn pour the coloured water in the food jar out into a bucket and start all over again with fresh water. I make the colour concentrate with brusho and a little water. It goes a long way- well further than using food colouring.

:D

Hello,

:o Please excuse my ignorance everyone but what is brusho? I have never heard of it before, where can you get it from and what is it like? Is it better than food colouring? Does it come in many colors? I'm very intrigued!

Hi Woozle

Brusho is ink powder. I have never used it myself but a friend of mine has done some lovely pictures with her nursery children in the past. You can buy it from most of the suppliers.

Linda

A warning about using Brusho - in my experience it stains badly and can be used to dye fabric when added to the medium they sell for the purpose.

hi woozle

nice name

Brusho is colouring in powder form. Very intense colour that you can control acc to the amount of water used to dilute it. I also use Brusho liquid is two colours to make cheap Christmas decorations. Dip either end of the full loo roll- unused xD in two differnt colours- red and green usually works well. The colour soaks into the loo roll that swells up rapidly- this depends on the quality of the loo roll. There should be a red border and a green border with the colour intermingling in the middle- sometimes this can stay white. Leave to dry undisturbed for a week -10 days. When dry unwrap/un roll and use as decorations for the ceilings and walls.Looks like double coloured crepe paper.

blue and red - for the golden jubilee This worked well.

Brusho works well when you fold kitchen roll paper and dip into differnt pots of brusho colours. The intensity of the colours remains constant- good for displays.

I sound like I have shares in the company. but no- I just think its cheap and great to use.

:o But it cna stain hands and clothes so use with care. But most parents are ok with it as it washes off.

Hi Leo,

What fantastic ideas for decorations, I hope I can remember them by Christmas time they sound very effective.

I love to hang things from the ceiling in my classroom, I guess that you could use it for other things such as dying the loo roll in shades of blue and hang in the role play area for an undewater scene or the sky, greens for grass, multicolours for streamers for festivals and carnival...... the possibilities are endless :) it would be very easy to get carried away !!

• 2 weeks later...

Brusho does come in many colours and a tiny amount colours a large volume of water. Unfortunately a tiny amount of neat powder also dyes your hands for a long while xD The paint is a beautiful bright coloured water colour which works on fabric as well as paper. We sometimes use it as a colour wash on top of a pencil drawing, then put felt pen back over the pencil lines. The made up paint keeps for about a week. If using the paint for independent work we stand the pots in a deep tray in case they get tipped over, as brusho stains the floor! In the concentrations you use in the water try it doesn't stain. :o

• 2 weeks later...

We just use food colouring or when we have run out we swirl some crepe paper into the water as this adds colour. Even better if the children do it themselves.

On other activities we have two weekly rota in the water tray and I am trying to remember off the top of my head all the things we do:

Pouring from jugs into containers

Different sized measurement containers

Bubbles

Boats

Sealife - complete with nets

Tubes

Floating and sinking

Bottles

There are two more that I just cant remember lol

We have also bathed babies (dolls)

Washed clothes and hung them out to dry

Made our own boats

Dyed it black and looked at reflections

Hi I have just had a great time in our reception class 'doing' water. The best bit was called 'making water move' we used a number of bowls/baby baths etc, a few lengths of plastic tubing, jugs bottles etc. I started with the water in one of the containers and then acted the 'daft' grown-up by saying,'look all the water is in here how can I get it in there?' The co-operation was fantastic, the children worked in groups of 2 or 3, depending on who they wanted to work with :o They discovered the best way to pour, slower was better, they realised that if they raised and lowered the tubing the water would move even if the 2nd container was raised higher than the first. my role was to help if neccessary, suggest that they stopped pouring if the water was going all over them. The children loved it and to be quite honest so did I. I also had some good observations for the teacher to include in the profiles!! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)