Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Centres

Hi All

Can you help me with answering a couple of questions.

Do you think the children's Centres are reaching the right people?

Do you know of any early years setting that has been affected by the opening of a Children's Centre?

I would like to use the findings in my course work if that is alright by everyone.

Thanks

We have a children's centre near to our nursery and as yet it hasn't affected our intake but we are a church school.that may make a difference

A children's centre is planned for our small town. I was so pleased to discover that this centre will not be offering child care but support and advice. We have a lot of provision in our town and one more would have a great effect on all of us. I was told that they would carry out research before providing childcare, guess this has spoken for its self!

I will let you know tomorrow.

Signs went up last week to say our community hall is to become a graduated childrens centre and that there will be meetings for the public at the end of may.

Tomorrow we have a meeting with our LA to find out how this effects us- I have a whole list of concerns at the moment. On the quiet I have been told they want to build two new offices on (so will we lose indoor space or our garden?)

I am really worried - we book the whole hall and have sole occupancy, but now it looks like we are sharing...... The meetings booked for the end of May are in the middle of our session in our hall - where are we going?? and don't even get me started on security, toilets, kitchen.That's hoping they still want us in the hall.

Oh and staff - my staff are already expressing interest in the jobs at the childrens centre as they will pay so more than we can.

I'm trying to be positive - let you know more tomorrow.

Hi Tess

Sorry to hear about the unexpected news. Could you not ask if you can be involved?

This is one thing i am looking at. In some areas like Lesley's people are being asked for opinions and in others the first they hear is when one is going to open up. Not sure it is very fair if it's on the same premises as you. Just like everything it lacks consistency. I would be very interested in how it will work for you. Thats if you dont mind.

We are getting a Children's Centre built next year so won't know until then if it will affect the local day nursery but I suspect it will.

To your first question I was recently talking with some councillors who said the Children's Centres in their areas were not being accessed because of where they were situated (too far for people to travel) They have all been planned on a London model and haven't considered rural areas where public transport is limited apparently.

we have one attached to a school which opened last sept...but one parent chose not to use it even though local to her and travels to us every day

did not affect us, too far away...

another more local does not have childcare so in fact is very useful to us as we have meetings and help close by.....

Plans are to build another with childcare so will wait and see location to see if it affects us.

Inge

Edited by Inge

we have one attached to a school which opened last sept..did not affect us, too far away..but one parent chose not to use it even though local to her and travels to us every day.

another more local does not have childcare so in fact is very useful to us as we have meetings and help close by.....

Plans are to build another with childcare so will wait and see location to see if it affects us.

Inge

sorry don't understand double post...only posted once honest...

Edited by Inge

To your first question I was recently talking with some councillors who said the Children's Centres in their areas were not being accessed because of where they were situated (too far for people to travel) They have all been planned on a London model and haven't considered rural areas where public transport is limited apparently.

I have heard of this in other areas as well. Also when they have been placed in the correct areas they are filling up with children from outside of the areas. Not really getting to the targeted group of children.

Thank you all for your views

Hi Lou

I had the meeting with the LA today - we really didn't learn a lot.

Our landlord (parish council) have proposed that a graduated children centre can go our site.

That will mean they will need to extend the building and build 2 new offices - (part of the paved playground area). As it is only a graduated childrens centre we do not need to provide the intergrated day care as that does not come with the package. But it will deliver health care, job seeker plus, childminder network etc. courses, training..

However the LA were surprised we rented the whole building the local council hadn't ever mentioned this to them and when we queried if we were to share how were we to use the one set of toilets by the main door (that would now be open)...Not many ideas. The plans have already been drawn up by the architects so they can't be changed to add more toilets or anything - I'll keep you posted on that one.

My other big concern is security and the LA has propsed to look into key pads on doors, to stop everyone wandering around.

Another suggestion they had was to run trainings after we finishto solve the toilet problem, but we are on the extended hours pilot so often don't leave till 2pm. Not sure who looks after the children while the parents are training though....

No time scales for any of this - information days end of May. Steering groups start in June and yes we have been asked to join. then consultation. It needs to be open by March 2008.

It looks like i'm sharing my building - but can't see any benefits to us.

Oh and does anyone want a job - my deputy is very interested in the new positions.

Great

Thank you Tess

If only they had spoken to you at the very start. The trouble is it could turn out for the better but when they seem to keep people in the dark, our minds work overtime. I really hope it is alright.

I dont think it's very nice for staff to be talking about leaving for the new centre. I would be livid.

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)