Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Names And Sounds

In order to achieve CLL Linking Scale 4 do children really have to name as well as sound letters of the alphabet. How many do they need to know in order to achieve the scale? We do Jolly Phonics and YR children know many digraphs and blends does this impact upon their achievemnt of the scale? Can anyone help?

Edited by Guest

Yep isn't it ridiculous that they are lumped together! We tick if they know 20 of each. Get teaching them names now - we do daily practice saying name and sound - goes in pretty quick with most and they are now ready I think at this stage of the year to learn both simultaneously!

The criteria is "all or almost all" I did ask the moderator when she was in school last week and she said 40 sounds and 20+ names. I know other areas where they are saying 20 sounds and 10 names.

This year I made a display and tried to put a picture to remind the names of the capital letters and lower case letters and it has worked really well. E.g. I and a picture of and eye, C the sea, B a bee, W double U...... it gives children the VAK learning that jolly phonics gives for the sounds... i have seen a marked improvement in the children's knowledge.

Some letters we were unable to find a picture but it might help.

Lorna

Yes, puzzles is right. Names and sounds to get the point. We had one poor teacher at moderation last year who had a class achieving really highly in writing who panicked because she hadn't touched on names, and then flapped because she only had about two weeks to 'teach' them. I tend to do it with children's names, line up if your name begins with a B. It's surprising how quickly the children will say b, Ben. This covers most of the letters and we just fill in the rest at odd times - and of course we probably all sing the ABC song, so if you have the alphabet visible while your singing it some of it will drip in.

I have a bit of an issue with teaching the letter sounds and names together as I once worked with a speech therapist who said - Imagine going for a job interview with 26 people, and they were introduced 'This is Amy, but you can call her Ann, this is Beechworth but you can call him Bob etc. Certainly made me think

Harricroft

we must remember that when teaching the names and sounds that we do not refer to the letter names purely for capitals! It just got me thinking the way you had described the teaching of names to your class Lorna as you had use the cpatial letter in your message... does this make sense? and forgive me if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs.

The new phonics for Reception will need to include all 44 phonemes! Jolly Phonics better get their skates on!

I have 'heard' that this is one point of the Profile that IS going to change. However, that doesn't help us this year does it! Has anyone else 'heard' about this?

On the display i have put up both the upper case letter and the lower case letter to aid association.

I will see if I can take a picture if anyone is interested.

Lorna

I thought it was the ELG (Early Learning Goal) that was changing too. It is also in the new literacy framework. I did hear at a foundation training day on the 0-5 curriculum, that the profiles may be changing too at some point, but I may be wrong. They like to keep us on our toes!

Our moderator said it was always up for discussion and she was for awarding it even if they didn't know letter names if they knew all their sounds as she said the emphasis was on 'Linking sounds and letters' but none of us at school are happy to do that as it says names and sounds!! She said it would be changing. Confusing! Catriona

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandle...g/EYFS/profile/

'All the early-learning goals, except one, remain the same for the EYFS as they were in Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage. The only change is to one of the early-learning goals for Linking Sounds and Letters which changes from: 'Hear and say initial and final sounds in words, and short vowel sounds within words' to: 'Hear and say sounds in words in the order in which they occur'. It has been proposed that this change should take place from September 2007. Further advice on this and a new Profile scales booklet will be provided by the QCA in due course.'

Says that only this ELG (will be changed - Profile will also have to be changed 'in due course'.

Sue xD , they are 2 different goals: just one on top of the other in that same page.

Could someone explain to me why the "Early Support" has been put there? I received the document at home, but I haven't started to read it :o.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)