Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Resources

Hi all

We are trying to develop our outdoor provision and are trying to think of thinks to go outside that are all year round, tough and durable and not too much hassle to pack away.

At present we have the usual hoops, bikes, stilts, large sand pit, stage area and pirate ship, play house and general resources from indoors we put outside. However we need to develop the outdoor resources so that we are able to have outdoor play during the wet and colder months...

What resources do you have that work well.

Any ideas.

Thanks Lorna

A windy day box is always good, full of windchimes and strips of kite material, etc that can be hung up. Also the large windmills are good.

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

If you have the budget, I would buy a job lot of wellies and waterproofs so that the children CAN go out whatever the weather - puddles are a great, cheap resource in rainy weather and the children will soon find their own interests and explorations on a wet day...they just need the appropriate clothing!

i agree wellies and waterproofs are a good buy and we have a chill out zone with fabrics soft furnishings music and lighting we use a wooden shed the children love it

Off the top of my head........How about safety mirrors and maybe a white canvas / sheet fixed to a frame to stand behind to do a shadow theatre with.

Peggy

Things for problem solving i.e. getting a full bucket of water from 'a' to 'b' - wooden planks, rope, pulleys, buckets, large wooden blocks, building materials, old tyres...

Water tray with drainpipes, buckets, jugs, bowls, ladles, spoons, plastic boxes...

Large cardboard tubes (inserts from carpet rolls) balls, boxes, fabric, mark making things, newspapers, rolls of wallpaper for mark making on (attach it to a wall or fence)...

Pots and pans attached to a fence with wooden and metal spoons for musical instruments ...

Large strips of fabric and willow trellis for weaving activities...

Materials for children to make their own wind chimes - ribbons, wool, bells, bottle tops, cotton reels...

Ooh, I wish I was back in nursery :o

Hi Lorna, lots of lovely ideas already given, so just another two for you to consider,

A chalk board, we have one in our garden, the children use it to chalk on and they love having a bucket of water and paint brushes and they paint over the chalk markings with the water and make marks with the paint brushes. We also have a weaving board displayed in the garden where the children weave bits of wool, string, tinsel and ribbon in and out.

Rosepetal :o

We have a variety of outdoor boxes with small resources and a large selection of PE type equipment.

My must haves are a hose pipe (outdoor tap) and lots of storage.

Rainy Day and windy day boxes would give all weather experiences.

We asked parents to donate old wellies and have 2 large buckets full.

- hooks on wall to attach fabric to to make tents

- wooden frames on wall to staple large paper

- plastic mirrors

- digging area

- all weather kit (incl.wellies)

Have a look on the learning through landscapes website, I'm not sure how much you can see if you're not a member but they have some really good ideas.

Does anyone know where i can get milk crates from? Can you buy them ,or do you have to beg some from a localdairy?

big garden posters...printed on water proof material which is like the easy clean table covers. They brighten up the area and i have found them in diy stores.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tredworth

I rang my local dairy. As an educational establishment, they were happy for me to take away 30+ crates.

Our milk man was happy to leave us 8 milk crates to use indefinitely. A frames and ladders are great - but quite expensive(ours came from Asco). they allow us to hang balls from strings for children to hit with bats, you can make tractors with a couple of hay bales thrown in, a bus (all tyre garages grateful for you to take old tyres form them, they have to pay to get rid of them). You can set up as circuit with tunnels going through or between, they turn into the houses of the 3 little pigs with children making the different walls etc, have been well worth the money! some old traffic cones - if you ask workmen nicely they will often let you have a couple, great if you have 4, you can push canes into tops and drape fabric over (tie to tops of canes with elastic bands) to make dens, shops etc. Bicycle wheels to make water wheels, paint brushes and rollers to do large scale water painting, our children like to paint the fence too! have fun!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)