Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted On Their Way!

Had the call on Friday for two day inspection Thursday and Friday.

Any ideas for 3 D shape would be much appreciated.

Spent whole day today working, as I am school SENCo, which adds to the pressure. I will be required to teach Reception for a morning. So just got around to planning.

I have questioned several times , should a job really intrude on one's life as much as this one does?

I know that many of you out there have experienced the same feelings. Just be glad when it's over!!!

Many thanks

:oxD Good luck.

Search for 3D shapes around the classroom, even better outdoors. Make 3D shapes - paper rolled up to make cylinders. Take apart 3D netsand identify 2D shapes they're made from - then try to remake (fiddly, but might challenge some higher ability children). Using 3D shapes to make models - get children to talk about the shapes they've used. Challenge children to make a castle/rocket or whatever using a specific number and type of 3D shapes - how many different models can they make with the same shape - digital photographs of models could be put on IWB for children to talk about their models.

Harricroft

Hi molly,

I covered 3d shape yesterday with a wonderful game some lovley clever person told me on earlylearning forum.

I’ve found this goes down really well with the children. Blutak 4 flat shapes to board (circle, square, triangle, oblong) & draw around them. Name/discuss. Write word ‘flat’. Show children a deflated balloon. Put it between palms & squeeze – it’s ‘flat’. How can we make it ‘fat’? Obvious response – blow it up! Show children the inflated balloon – put between palms – it’s ‘fat’! (Rub out the ‘l’ in flat to change to ‘fat’). We’re going to try to ‘blow up’ the circle. Try…no good. We need something to help us. Now for the ‘magic’. Have a sparkly box/bag. Put the circle inside & have a corresponding sphere the same size & colour already hidden inside box. (I used a yellow circle & sponge PE ball.) What shape do you think it might be when it’s blown up? You need the ‘magic words’. Can the children think of any? Draw the top of the bag together & pretend to blow up the 2D shape inside – children say the magic words & out comes ..….a flat circle!! Oh no – wrong words etc. We’ve had great fun. The anticipation is wonderful. At last you pull out the 3D shape – it’s a ‘fat’ shape. Put it between palms to demonstrate – name it. Repeat with square. I’ve found this is enough in one session. I try to ‘coax’ the triangle to go in the box/bag but he’s nervous – perhaps another day! The children won’t let you forget! We make collections of different 3D shapes; shape walk; roll/slide/both; make models; reassemble boxes that have been opened so they are flat etc. Best of luck!

I used the squidgy sparkle shapes from tts and i managed to find a ball the same size and colour I wrapped a square parcel in the same colours and a rectangle i wish i had done the triange cos they were begging for more.!!!It was the best way of getting accross 3d concept I know!!

That sounds like a brilliant idea, Andreamay! I think I will give that a go later in the term.

Good luck with Ofsted. As Senco you will almost certainly be interviewed to explain what you do but it is quite likely that you wont be observed teaching.

Good luck mollywest - we had our ofsted last Nov and although we were all very worked up before it (in school all weekend) it wasn't as bad as I thought. Was my first inspection but many of the older staff who've been through the old style inspection said they far preferred this type. I'm sure you 'll be great!

Andreamay - fantastic ideas thanks very much. I'm doing 3D shape this coming week and just getting round to my planning now (last minute - me??? :o ) and will def use this. My kids will love it.

Good luck Mollywest, as a preschool we don't get notice and in some senses I think this is better as with notice I am sure we would be spending a whole weekend 'at work' instead of resting.

Great 3D activity Andreamay, maybe you could consider putting it in the resource bank so that other members don't miss it. :o

Peggy

Im glad you all will find it useful. :o

Thinking about it I think it was from the TES site rather then the other one.

Peggy - Not sure about putting it on resources cos it wasnt my idea!I dont feel comfortable doing that but will try and find out who's idea it is and ask permission xD

Many thanks for all your good wishes. The ideas you've provided are fantastic.

Spent the day going through tracking, so reception lesson hasn't entered my mind. Not only am I senco, but also Inclusion Manager!

I'll let you know how we get on .

Once again-many thanks

Good luck, its all about having the evidence to back up your SEF. When they give the head their brief she will know where their starting point is. As soon as they are happy with one item on their agenda they will move on to something else. It will be over very quickly.

Good Luck. We have just done Day 1 of our 2 day inspection. I did have a 50 min maths / MD observation today (I was mainly with Y1s today out of mixed R/Y1 class). There is a hige amount of focus on the tracking of progress as they are in for such a short time. The inspector wanted to know where I thought the children were on entry and when they left. basically she wanted to know in which year group they made the progress. All of us in Early Years have been saying the same thing- very well below entry at nursery entry, well below at reception entry, below/few average at when leaving reception, average at KS1. It is a team effort, not a single year group- I think they got the message as the EY coordinator had plenty of files to hand. The highlghted profile that shows end Nursery and end Reception was particulary useful, linked into Y1/Y2 tracking for writing and maths with Y1 and Y2 end predictions. The inspector was very keen on target setting, and using assessments to inform planning.

As long as they can get evidence of progression from tracking sheets / childrens' written evidence for R/Y1/2 they don't seem so concerned about the how the children get to that point, it seems to me.

We'll see what Day 2 brings tomorow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)