Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Profile Evidence Gathering

HI,

New to forum so would like to ask how much evidence people gather for the profile. We have been told by our authority that we need 3 pieces of evidence for each statement, for each child. This seems an enormous amount. Is this the norm or just our county.

Thanks

Guest Wolfie

I think that three pieces of evidence is common to a lot of authorities although professional judgment is also encouraged with regard to individual children and individual profile statements; I work in F1 so am more concerned with stepping stone statements, but for example you don't need to watch a child leave their parent/carer happily three times before knowing that they have achieved that stepping stone.

Sorry can't help, work in preschool but like Shelley just wanted to extend a warm welcome to the forum. This subject has been discussed previously so if you do a search you should come up with some discussions, although I am sure some teachers will be along soon with even more up to date info.

Peggy

Hi and welcome to the forum

My authority ask for 3 pieces of evidence for each of the statements being moderated for moderation purposes only (I needed 15 pieces of evidence in total this year and these could be anecdotal). We do not need to keep 3 pieces of evidence for every child for every statement to complete the profile

That seems like an excessive and possibly impossible amount - 3 pieces for each point is 351 pieces per child - 10, 530 pieces of evidence for a class of 30. Can you imagine even where you could store all that evidence never mind find the time to collect it. I would suggest that perhaps the person who told you this was meaning that you shouldn't give a profile point to a child until they have done whatever it is 3 times, i.e. that they are confident in this and are doing it in their free play.

I know that this is guidance issued by many LAs. I have recenlty undergone a very successful moderation - been offered a lead practitioner role in our EYs team on the strength of this and I did not have a piece of evidence for every point I had given the 3 children being moderated. I prob had evidence foe around 3/4 of the points I had given and as Marion says, some of this was anecdotal. It's important that the evidence you do have is relevant and an accurate judgement of what the child knows, understands and can do and also that you actually do something with the evidence you collect, i.e. there's no point in collecting loads of evidence if it's never used to influence planning etc.

Recently I attended a cluster meeting and our LA said that they do not expect one piece of evidence for each child for each point they have achieved as this would be completly unnecessary so I am inclined to think your LA asking for 3 must be some sort of mix up and I would try not to worry too much about it. There can't be that much difference between the LAs surely - is there someone at your Early Years Team who you could phone/email to clarify?

PS I almost forgot, welcome to the forum - let us know your outcome.

Edited by Guest

Gosh Mookie when you put it like that that sounds like a huge amount doesn't it.

Welcome to the forum DominicanBear :)

I would completely agree and echo what Mookie has just written - and well done and congratulations on your lead role Mookie!

Can you check with your county again? - and remember 80% of the evidence is meant to be observations from child inititated activities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)