Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floating/facilitating?

I have to say I have enjoyed reading this post but I am quite surprised that you direct your staff in that way. I rarely have to tell my staff where to go or what to do. We have our main focussed activity going on in the session which we take in turns to to (one person is responsible for planning it and doing it but if they need a break or they are out then someone else takes over) and the rest of us just do float around going where ever there is a lot of interest or where we might be needed.

Do you all find that you have to direct your staff in that way? I have never felt the need with mine - but then again my team all just seem to muck in.

Don't get me wrong we do play but I just need to put it on the timetable so it doesn't sound like play. My head teacher is quite knowledgeable but does not seem to be able to accept that a teacher 'plays'. She says it is OK for the TA's to support learning but not me. I have explained about the percentages of child initiated and practitioner led (and ofsted said we were spot on with what we do) but she is quite set in her ways. The other frustrating factor is that our school focus is on speaking and listening so we need more informal interactions with the children not less! She does not come into the nursery often and when she does as long as I am interacting with the children she is happy but she just wants the timetable to look like I am 'teaching' all the time. This is why I wanted a term to use that would keep everyone happy.

The things you have to do :o

Sue