Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Structure In Sessional Preschool Run By Management Committee

Hi everyone, Committee have asked staff to think about other ways we could structure staff (supevisory etc). At the moment we work as I believe most preschools do.... Management Committee, Supervisor, Deputy Supervisor and the rest of the staff (all Qualified to level 3). Deputy is leaving in July and one member of staff is going on Maternity leave for 9 months.

Committee want us to rethink if we need a Deputy or how we can reorganise staff... Supervisor spends the majority of time in the office (kitchen in the Community Hall to be honest) dealing with paperwork with the Administrator. All staff plan and take keyworker responsibility.

My question is 'How do you structure staff, can you do without a Deputy? How could we restructure... any advice would be wonderful (staff meeting with committee tommorow) also, some staff are much better than others at the job regardless of all being qualified... anyway enough waffling I leave it with you clever peoplexx

Hi,

I have to be honest and say that when I worked in a Pre-school, no one ever sat any where doing anything that wasn't child-oriented! Certainly not me (Supervisor) - a hands-on job!

Of course you need a Deputy, to step in when necessary, however if all staff are Level 3, the they are all capable of stepping in and taking over?? I'm assuming :o

Any help?

Sue

The problem, I feel, if you don't have a named deputy is who is in charge when the supervisor isn't there? It could cause problems if they all feel they are in charge. I would chose the person with the most experience, if they are suitable, as they are all have the same qualification.

Linda

Hi Sue, I agree a good supervisor should be hands on.... and also that we need a Deputy (I'm the one going on Maternity Leave) but I'm concerned about what they actually want staff to agree to... I've not got a clue what changes they want to be honest.... not until the meeting... it's just that they have called the meeting and asked us to think what changes we can make to management/staff structure (I think they may not want to replace staff for financial reasons but don't know how to go about it) anyway I'm not putting this across very well, but I'm quite insulted that committees idea seems to be replacing the deputy and excellent member of staff going on maternity leave (namely me) by parent helpers... which not for one minute do I not value..... but cannot plan, observe, assess etc and we are full at the moment with 26 children per session.... hmmmm I'm just worried about what is going to happen....

I agree with Sue and Linda and empathise with your concerns.

Why not suggest that the committee have the National Standards available at the meeting which clarify the supervisors role in terms of deployment of staff, the need to have a suitable person as deputy to cover in the staff absence.

Is any of the current level 3 staff available to be deputy and employ a replacement for you, at your level, able to do your role for the maternity leave period.

Maybe the current supervisor could recommend the best current member of staff for the deputy role, as she would know who is most able to do this role, or they need to advertise for a new deputy.

Possibly the committee are thinking about the reduction in numbers come September and the 'opportunity' to reduce staffing levels as the deputy is leaving????

The 'new' deputy would need an induction into the role.

Peggy

We are full and increasing sessions in September....

I'm not sure that the committee have great faith in the supervisor who has been in the role for a hundred years and I am sure this is all an excuse to reorganise the whole place which could be a good thing.... but I'm really concerned that during the process they are upsetting all the staff who don't feel valued and could end up leaving.... I am so fed up this is happening when I can't offer my full support due to my exciting but completely unplanned pregnancy.... but the setting truly matters to me and I really want to help get something positive out of the meeting tommorow rather than an upset team all ready to leave...

I suppose I thought that someone may have a new way of structuring management in such a session that would suit the committee and the team and they would all leave smiling happily ever after, but thats just my way of doing things... I am a leader but can presently only offer empty leadership as anything I currently offer will fall on deaf ears as my commitment must seem ludicrous as I'm off for my career break..... or thats how it will seem to my colleagues..

Our supervisors are certainly hands on.

You need a deputy to stand in/take responsiblity when necessary. Would anybody want the job? Should it be open to all staff to apply in the interests of equal opportunities etc and the best candidate chosen?

In our setting we all work different sessions with different responsibilities I'm a deputy but one day a week, my colleague and I are joint supervisors. This works well for us, we work well together, compliment each other's strengths/weeknesses, it might not work for everybody. We enjoy the chance to supervise. This term I will also take on the assistant's role for one session a week as we are nearly full. This means I can certainly see things from different perspectives. We need to be flexible.

I understand your concern about parent helpers in terms of experience and commitment only. Would they be over and above required ratio?

I think it is important to have qualified staff to take on the role of keyworkers. I don't think you could ask parent helpers to do that and if you are full it is quite a burden on staff. (Especially with regards to the new EYFS.) If the Supervisor is not very good could you have joint supervisors? Congratulations on your impending new arrival - I hope you are keeping well!

Hi, I would definately apply for deputy but like I say, I won't be here for a while.... one other member of staff would apply but my colleagues and I don't think she is experienced enough..... and the parent cover is to cover ratios.... committee have already sent out letters asking for a parent rota to 'cover' sessions as part of ratios.... and what days they can commit to .... its a shambles

Thanx for all your support guys..... xx we shall see what tommorow brings and hopefully I can update you with some positive moves forward :)

"The distinction between managers and leaders is that one manages (copes) while the other leads (points the way)"

How can a parent helper be expected to fulfil the role of a member of staff with all its responsibility and work outside of the session times?

Would the qualification requirement be met under the National Standards?

Good luck tomorrow, be interested to see what happens.

Change is so difficult isn't it. They do need to take one step at a time, having the meeting will help inform them of their options.

Are all staff invited to the meeting? maybe they will feel less unstable if they can all be involved in discussions. How is the current supervisor feeling? Does she see a future in preschool for herself with all the new qualification requirements etc, maybe the discussion could include the future requirements of having a degree / EYPS, which staff would be prepared/ want to do this, what are the long term PD goals of individual staff?

If the committee can find out what the individual staffs future aspirations in terms of promotional opportunities, linked to qualification / ability ( a look at the common core of knowledge, skills, attitude CWDC requirements ) are they can then use this information for future planning, re: recruitment.

Glad to hear you have a sustainable future in terms of numbers, quite a few settings aren't so fortunate. The commitee need to recognise that the high numbers are due to a fully qualified team offering quality provision. To reduce qualified / experienced staffing levels will impact on quality, which parents will notice.

Good luck

Peggy

:o the committee are going to voluntarily cover the staff, within the ratios! Trying to get my head what they are proposing, you say you are full does that mean 26 places? The committee want to be included in the ratios, and one member of staff is mostly not in the room. How many experienced people will be in the room observing the children?

Missed this yesterday but.........

Ofsted ask for a named deputy - Standard 2.2..so you have to have one.....

we have 2 job share and take turns when I am not there or actually they work together to do the job beautifully, but also have another staff member who also not named to Ofsted also has input and takes some of the role.

Sounds complicated and staff would have to work well together for this to work... they have run the preschool with the committee successfully while I have been off since Xmas with only a few calls to check if it was Ok to do.........purely because they wanted to ensure I knew what was happening. Now I am back and so far they have done it all and are still doing some of my job now!! I am a hands on Manager in ratios every day I am at work with he children.

I think standards would have to be checked as there are several criteria which may not be covered

1.4 asks for a;ll managers staff and volunteers to have the appropriate experience, skill and ability to do the job.

and another 2.7 says REGULAR volunteers may be included in ratios

Interesting to see how it progresses

Inge

Hi everyone, thanx for all your support

Well... the meeting was very much as I had guessed.... committee had an idea of how they would like to restructure the preschool. To be honest the preschool has been screaming out for this kind of committment for a long time..... they are looking very much to a sustainable future, increasing sessions, extended care if viable etc. instead of the way we have worked for 40 years, which is day to day, week to week....

The meeting did get heated because of the confusion on how extra hours could be staffed, but I believe it's due to the fact that committee were asking the team as a whole questions they should have been able to get from the supervisor previously and had obviously never had a straight answer.

They wanted to know minimum amount of staff for ratios, maximum amount of children per session etc. also, what the job entails exactly (they should know this, but I gather once again supervisor had not been very forthcoming, probably concerned they may make her more hands on which is possibly not what she wants to do any more)

It wasn't a nice meeting at all.... I think the team felt they were there to answer questions that they shouldn't have to... and in the process the Supervisor came out looking not very good at all.... she answered questions about standards required incorrectly as staff said the opposite which was awful to watch.

Anyway... I've got to go to work now so I'll post again later if anyone wants further updates xx