Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Montessori And The New Eyfs

We are a Montessori Day Nursery and find it very difficult to please the local early years team and stay true to Montessori. We are happy to be flexable and are not strict Montessori, encompassing all that is good in Early Years education but we do have trouble with planning forms. The planning we do now does not really do justice to the fact that the children have free choice from the prepared environment, they are learning so much continuously from activities both Montessori and non-Montessori but we cannot put down on our planning for instance, threading because if the children want to do threading it is there for them to choose if they don't, they don't!! It is difficult for me to put into words but you get the gist of my meaning.

How do other Montessori Nurseries put into writing exactly what the children learn and how it relates to the EYFS.

I have been looking at Motivational planning and feel this is more Montessori based but when I looked at the planning forms for the new EYFS I wasn't sure how I was going to fit them round our environment.

I would be grateful for any input from other Montessori settings.

Hi stedeford, I dont know much if anything about the Montessori way but I do know people who plan retrospectively. Could you do that? Watch the children at their play and record what you see, you can then link it to the EYFS.

As for the children not choosing to do an activity, I think most settings have that and so make similar developmental activities available at some time.

My pack came yesterday, I dont think I've got any forms in it, but i havent looked at the CD rom yet.

Can you tell us where the forms are?

Hi

Rea - the forms are on the CD Rom, as you thought.

Stedeford - My initial thought was to plan retrospectively too.

From what I've just read, many of the ideas held by people who work in early childhood education today can be traced to Montessori. Just thought I'd share that nugget with you!

Hi im in a Montessori teacher and the way we do our planning is non topic based in our recent ofsted inspection it was praised for being meaningful to the children as i also add all the shelf work even minor changes to these are added.

looking at the eyfs i dont antisipate too many changes to our planning format.

i am struggling to upload documents for you but if you pm me i would be happy to offer you any further help i can x

The majority of our preschool provision is self selection so for example from the art draws; gluing, painting, printing, drawing, chalking, collage, charcoal, scissors, cellotape, craft materials etc could in effect all be out at once, if each child chose to access each resource available. So on our planning sheet we have left column Art Area, next column, adult initiated - if we have planned a specific presentation of the area , ie: no table, large paper on floor, then 3rd column note what resources are selected by children and learning shown or learning scaffolded by adults. Does that make sense?

We then tend to plan by notes from the 3rd column, the childrens interests and learning which needs developing or more practice at.

So the adult led / presentation can be planned in advance, the 3rd column noted retrospectively.

Peggy

Personal Message. She will send you a personal message, which you will receive an email saying that you have, and how to access it.

i am struggling to upload documents for you but if you pm me i would be happy to offer you any further help i can x

jojom,

If you are having problems with uploading documents you could pm Steve who would be happy to help out. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)