Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help Need Some Advice.

beth1

Hi

I have just been offered a full time job 37.5 hours a week over 4 days which equates to 7.30 am til 6.00pm. :( Which I wasn't expecting to get. :( The job is in the 2-3s room and is about 10 miles away. I have tons of coursework to get done before 17 May 2007, then from next Septmber this 37.5 hours could change again. I have not been given a rate of pay (tried asking but I didn't feel that I was getting there). xD

What should I do, I was not expecting to get this job at all. I have to let them know my desion in the morning and I haven't got a clue what to do. :o Help I don't know what to do thanks. :(

From a very stressed out Beth

Firstly, congratulations on being offered the job, you must be feeling very relieved that all the interviews have paid off. Well done :o

At first glance I'd say that 7.30 - 6 is a very long day :( Presumably thats the hours the nursery is open and you'll work shifts? My nursery are open the same hours but we work an 8 hour shift starting either at 7.30, 8.30 or 10, with a lunch of 45 mins, then we leave at 3.30, 4.30 or 6. But 4 days suits your course doesnt it?

Bear in mind that 10 miles a week will cost in petrol, so do find out the pay. I travel 48 miles over three days and I always seem to be at the garage :(

Is there any way you can fit your course work into the weekends? I know its a pain having to do stuff other than relax on our days off but it wont be forever.

Whatever you decide beth, good luck xD

Hi beth

from reading your post and the fact that you need advice You do not seem to enthusiastic about the job. if your instinct is telling you it is not right for you then go with it if the only thing putting you off is the rate of pay maybe you could phone up and ask the rate of pay and ask if they could put the offer in writing stating hours terms pay e.t.c. You need to ask yourself if the hours are what you need and if you will be able to complete your coursework whilst working you do not want to make yourself ill or for your coursework to suffer. have you other jobs in the pipeline that you would enjoy more? is this the type of setting age group you feel you could be happy working with?. Sorry not giving you an answer go with your gut instinct and good luck. Shelley

First I'd like to say CONGRATULATIONS on this job offer.

I don't really see how you can mke a decision without further information. Although we do work in this profession for love and not money xD:( , you do need to know what salary is on offer, especially as you have the cost implications of a 20 mile return journey each day. ( I do a 15 mile return journey each day and actually quite enjoy my early morning drives before rush hour with Bobby Brown blaring out the CD player :( )

You also need to know in what ways the hours may change in September, if they are reducing, by how much.

Could you manage your course work on your one day off and weekends??

Do you want to work in the 2-3's room? ( I personally think this is a lovely age to work with)

I presume you are contacting them by phone tomorrow, call them in the morning and just say to them that you appreciate the offer and could they please clarify salary and September hours and you will get back to them by the end of the day.

I hope it is a job that you can accept as you most certainly deserve the award for the most persistant and dedicated job hunter of the year :(:o

Good luck.

Peggy

Is this to start immediately? By your question it does seem so, particularly as May 17th is not far off. I think that you will find working the long hours as well as studying quiet exhausting, that said if you really enjoy the job the adrenalin can really help that. I think that you would not be able to do this indefinately, but at least knowing that it is only short term should help.

You could always ask for a start date after May 17th. As Shelley says go with your gut instinct.

Well Done Beth.

Yes you definitely need to find out all the details about the job, and once you have, give yourself time to make the decision.

You want to be able to give whichever job ou go to, your best, so make sure it is right for you.

Let us know.

I have worked out the hours it will be 9 3/4 with 30 mins break so for example 8-6. I already do my coursework on the weekends anyway so I couldn't cramm any more in. This job starts the week after next so week when its bank hols as thats when I can start.

I am struggling to get my course work done for this week so far, I have not worked on Monday night, hopefully I will do around 2 hours work. Tommorow will depend on what time I get home and have tea as I don't finsh til 6.00 with a 30 to 1 hour drive home depending on traffic then tea, get back ready for uni then coursework.

I knew the hours would be 37.5 but in the interview I got a different vibe that it could be worked that most of the week I could work longer but less hours i.e. 35 hours. I also know people on my course work anywhere between 37.5 hours to 42.5 hours per week normally but when uni is on they work less hours in the working week so for example 30 hours per week for the 37.5 per week.

Dad thinks I should ring up with a few questions then think about it, then ring up at lunchtime to make final say. Well later on I am going to find out what if any information I can gather about the working week and study time as this could actually take me over the 48 hours rule for working. But this is what I am going to find out anyway. I would ring my learning mentor but I feel that she will be too busy with her baby.

Beth

Edited by beth1

What is the 48 hour workig week???? (LOL). If it helps Beth i work a 40+ hour week and I am in the process of completeing my foundation degree it can be done but at times this is hard and I will not pretend that at times I have not sat down and cried but you seem to be of a a strong character so i am sure it will work out whatever you choose (pity you are not in my area I am desparate for dedicated enthusiastic staff)

Ninafox the 48 hour weeks is set out by the govenment to prevent anyone working longer than this time. Thanks for the insite about studying and working. :(

Anyway I have been to a visit a releative(sp) who has come up with some negotation, everyone in the family thinks working 37.5 hours plus uni at 6-7 hours then studying and travelling will be too much for my body to take(have few health issues). :o So I am planning to see if they will negoiate this deal and if they do I will then metion other term and condtions i.e. pay, holidays, etc. xD I would also require time off possible 2 days to study Makaton Foundation Workshop and maybe 3 days off for the enhancment workshop. This could be a useful any setting I work in. :(

I will keep you posted on any development. :(

Beth

Right I am still waiting to here back, in which it should be tommorow regarding the solution to the problem. My gut feeling is that I may not get the job. :o Plus now I cannot attend the Makaton Foundation Workshop as June is full and September is filling up quickily. :( T

heres a few jobs in the papers tonight so I will have to ring up tommorow about them. xD Well one in particuular I applied for a job senior nursery nurse but I got turned down because I was studying and it was full time and now theres a jobs going part time not sure of working hours though. Now I think I may apply for nothing.

Beth

Hi Beth,

There is no legislation to add on time of study on top of working hours! If that was the case I would be well over as I am working as a full-time teacher and doing a masters in my own time on top of all my teaching work with NO study time at all ie. all my study is done at evenings and weekends (with teaching work too!). However, that is the path I have chosen and I am studying for my own benefit.

It sounds like you need to consider whether you can work full-time and study as well. Is money a determining factor? A 4 day week sounds good - work hard for 4 days and get a day off to catch up on your studying, then you might even have a chance to have a day off at weekend. How much longer are you studying for?

Hi Beth,

It sounds like you need to consider whether you can work full-time and study as well. Is money a determining factor? A 4 day week sounds good - work hard for 4 days and get a day off to catch up on your studying, then you might even have a chance to have a day off at weekend. How much longer are you studying for?

Well on the 5th day I would be at uni anyway so I wouldn't have a day off for catching up on studying. I have another 2 years at foundation level then possibley 1 or more year top of to a full degree level.

I haven't heard back and I now think they have lost interest, oh well its there loss if they don't want to negotate a good deal with me. Plus with being at uni today I have spoken to my uni friends and they think its not right having to work all the hours then studying, when they themselves only work a 4 day week at for example 8 hour shifts when they are at uni. They work full time when they are not there i.e. last 3 weeks off.

Beth