Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activity Box

Hi,

has anyone made or have an activity box in their setting?

For one of my last FD assignments i need to:

Design an activity box / resource file to support language or intellectual development for practititioners

anyone got any ideas?????? :o

Hi Hali

I made a toy activity box for my class when we were doing toys as a topic. I took a large shoe box and covered it with toy wrapping paper. I then filled it with tissue paper and put in a selection of old fashioned toys such as a jacobs ladder, a cup and ball, a jack-in-the-box, a kaleidoscope etc.. I then took 2 children at a time and observed what they did and said. It was interesting to see how they approached the box and how they discovered how to work the toys.

You can also make these boxes for light, sound, gardening etc. the list is endless. they are activities to bring out just occasionally so that they are always new to the children and excite their interest.

Edited by stedeford

Or a windy day box. You can buy them here along with other boxes such as a maths one or a minibeast one, but could just as easily - and cheaply - make your own by getting items from the £ shop, etc.

thanks guys, Beau that website looks really useful looks like what im looking for , my only concern is that it states its for practitioners, not the children :o

Edited by hali

Hali,

I reread what you had put several times and came to the conclusion that it had been badly worded. I interpreted it to mean something that practitioners can use to support children's development in........... xD I think it's a bit late to develop my intellect!! :o

no carol, you are right thats why i said that i think your link would be usful..hers my criteria:

Task 3

Activity box / resource file (40%)

Design an activity box / resource file to support language or intellectual development for practititioners. Provide a rationale. Your work must be logically structured.

Criteria for assessment:

• all material of relevance to area of development

• be suitable for the setting

• be logically structured

• accurate use of English including spelling, punctuation and grammar, appropriate and accurate referencing, maximum word count (rationale) 600.

Hali, I have over time, with my staff, created what I call resource files ( boxes) , they cover the six areas of learning, plus one each for festivals, songs, outdoor play, outings etc.

Each box is continually added to, it has an index page which obviously lists its contents. The contents range from relevant articles from publications such as Nursery World, theoretical articles including research findings and theorists, activity plans ( ones that have been especially successful rather than basic everyday activities within the continuous provision), resources such as supporting photo's, small items such as finger puppets, home made games, ie: in my maths box I have number lines, printed and laminated coins, number fans etc. I started them by giving each member of staff a box to start filling, then they are all available at all times to access for ideas, resources and of course to add to.

Is this what you meant?

if it is I could give you a better idea of contents by listing the index of each box ( would have to get this from preschool though)

Peggy

peggy thats sounds just about right thank you, i need to do it on language or intellectual development and any help with it would be gratfully recieved as i have 3 other assignments plus my disseration to get in would be very handy, thank you soooo much :o grovel grovel xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)