Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please.......

I have been looking into doing makaton training for around 12 months, I already have BSL stage 1 but I have never had to use it. I know some friends who use Makaton with mainstream children in singing time plus carpet time. I have seen this in practice and it looks good.

I have found a foundation course for professionals at www.makaton.org in Dewsbury 11/12 June 07. I am unsure of what to do. This is something that interests me having seen it in practice plus a few of the day nurseries around the area have started to do baby sign but I think this is much better for the 0-5+ age group.

TIA

Beth

Guest Wolfie

I would go for it Beth - a working knowledge of Makaton is very useful in all sorts of circumstances and you're also interested in it - you've got nothing to lose! :)

3 staff from the nursery i (used to) manage did Makaton, and they all use it in their rooms with the children from aged 0 to 5, during signing time and circle time etc.

The children love it and so do the parents.

we use Makaton with the children, we have all done a basic course which was done in house and will hopefully eventually get on a more advanced one when we can. Our local ones are always very full as parents and practitioners do them together.

we find it useful and have been using it for songs and snack times for a long time now.

Our training comes under the transformation fund via our LEA and is free, which is how we got our in house training.

if it interests you and you have the time it is always worth doing. Would you have to pay for this yourself as this may have an impact on if you decide to go ahead. Your degree work for this year would all be done by June and you may enjoy the challenge.

Inge

My senco and I did a basic course about 5 weeks ago and I have to say we both thought it was fantastic. It was only for three hours so we would like to do something more. Perhaps you might find something locally Beth that is a shorter time just to see if you like it. If not I would say go to the one you have mentioned-I'm sure you will find it very useful and enjoyable.

Linda

I'd say that the best type of course to choose is something that you are interested in. So go for it. If you do decide to do it then It will be interesting to hear your views on how it differs from your BSL knowledge.

Peggy

Beth,

We have a little boy we have been using Makaton with and he has made such progress with it. There was no training being offered but the Speech Therapist came out for 2 sessions to teach us some useful bits and pieces. It is quite easy to learn and remember as the signs are just common sense. I would recommend it if you have the opportunity. :o

Thanks for your replies, I am going to look into this further during this week. I think I will probley send an email and ask a few questions. I will have to pay for it but I need to find out how much it costs and if I can afford it or I will have to wait for the one in September 07. :o

Beth

Well I have now send an email asking a few questions hopefully they will get back via email soon. :( Fingers crossed I can get on the course of course (no pun intended xD ) depending on what the result of the email are. :o

Beth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)