Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training

I recieved a letter this week through my door which made me feel physically sick and bewildered :o I joined up to the APEL course last year. I was told that in order to be able to continue with the job I have been doing for the last 16 years I should update my DPP qualification. Despite lack of time, a young family and everything else we have to do I reluctantly began working my way through the four assignments that were in front of me. From the offset it was a disaster. I consider myself to be a relatively intelligent person. However, I found this course to be almost impossible. CACHE and I were definitely not on the same wave length as to what was required After several attempts and difficulties with my tutor marking the wrong work, then one getting lost in the post etc. I managed to pass all but one assignment, my firend who was on the same course sent me a copy of her work after looking at her work I felt her format was easier to read and check that everything had be inclluded than mine. with her permission I applied my work into a formula only similiar to hers, and made the changes that the person who had marked the first attempt had recommended which took me over my word count, so I took some work out. The result was that my resubmitted assignment now looked completely different. I sent it off and for the last five months forgot about it as my tutor had told me she understood that everyone had passed. This week a letter came from out of the blue, someone somewhere saying they are considering making my piece of work null and void due to what was the word plagarism (I think) in other words "cheating and copying". It's made me feel terrible I have NEVER cheated in my life. So now I have to sit on tenter hooks until they decide whether my reply was adequate to prove I haven't cheated. I wanted to say to anyone embarking on one of these courses. Just be careful if you are working with someone or getting advise from someone they have people out there whose job it is to watch you. I agree with certain standards but I didn't realise it stretched to friends working together. I am devastated.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I am doing APEL. I was encouraged to work with another person.The whole thing was too stressful for her so she gave up after the first assignment.

Hope you here good news soon . How long will it take before you know?

Guest valletta

hi

I am thinking of doing the Apel - becaue of Ofsted saying my qualifications are void - after 15years working in the same pre ;school without a career break

After reading your entry - it has put me off... I thought Apel was easy and quick to do and gives us ' oldtimers' as change of getting the level 3

the whole episode of this is really getting me down -

still wont decide what to do until I receive a reply from the Sec of Education and my M.P.

Well Valletta,

I am trying to finish it quickly if you start it you could take longer to do it. It isn't hard to do because you have all the information any way . It is just a matter of writing it all down. I always have a plan for every day. Sometimes things don't go according to plan and I alter it scribble notes on it so I am spending time writing them out neater so they can be understood. Once you can understand the question itn't hard to write 750 words on a subject. You can refer to snippets that you may have saved from journels for part of your evidence. Look wait and see what my tutor says when I give her my work after Easter. I have spent 4 days doing it so some of it must be correct. You will have an assigned mentor to help you.I can give you ideas. Everyone runs their group differently so you just have to write down the way you work.

Lesley,

Felt really bad for you reading your post. It may not seem like it at the moment but I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Just stick to your guns and argue your case. :)

Thats about right , I have been told by OFSTED and CACHE to do APEL and I'm not even in a supervisory postion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told that by my Early Years that only supervisors would be funded to do it (that could be just a provisor in my area).Last week my tutor gave me the candidate handbook.Very useful now I have finished most of it.

In there is a calculatory chart. Looking at that it could be possible to do the APEL if you have been working at level 2 for at least 25 weeks of the year for at least 15 hours per week for the last 9 years.

I'm sorry I have to disagree about the ease of this course. Granted I have not done any lengthy training since 1991, but I have 20 years experience in childcare and social studies. Working in some of the most deprived areas so I would say my prior experience is quite varied. I have found the APEL almost impossible to do because of the time required to do it. We were told that we needed a free 60 hours just to attend tutorials thats WITHOUT what we were expected to do for the assignments. The tutorials were, for me anyway, a waste of time. I thought a lot of my work could be done in the tutorials, I was wrong. I would travel all the way from Epping to Gt Dunmow, about half an hour in the car. Just for 10 minutes. I knew it would be difficult because of my other committments but it's really put me off of doing anymore training, I was thinking about doing a degree, that doesn't seem likely now. The people who mark the work on this course do not seem to take into consideration the different ways people work, so long as you use their phrases i.e. "Blue Book" "Child Prtection" "Speicial Needs" "Inclusion" and "Differentiation" they seem to have a set format in their mind.

If OFSTED are insisting that we do these extra courses they must stop burdening us and moving the goal posts all the time.

EArly Years is in a chrysalis of change it's being reborn, which in someways is good but by moving too quickly in some areas we will find that many very experienced people will leave the profession and we will end up with a workforce of girls who are not much older than the children we are looking after, just out of college and with only theoretical experience to guide them. :o I love my job and I'm not giving up until they come and drag me away kicking and screaming, but I do get weary fighting all the time.

Oh Lesley,

It all makes me feel so sad.

Early Years needs us all - if we feel we have something to offer.

I am unqualified, but have 5 years' experience (not a lot, but worth building on). Although I am nearing 50, I am doing the EYFD, unsupported by my setting. I felt that I could not carry on any longer without proper knowledge.

As I have said on this site before, I think the time has come for an "Early Years Professional Body". All other professions have a governing body that protects their rights and regulates their training and practice. I'm not talking about a union-type organisation. I'm thinking about an self-governed organisation that would give membership (perhaps on differerent levels, according to experience/qualification) to all those committed to early years practice.

Government bodies are continually moving our goal posts - not just as far as training is concerned, but with funding, regulation, etc. A professional body (elected representatives) could represent us and give our viewpoints in an organised way.

Early Years is in a state of total flux, as we all know. The government initiatives are all very well, but who is going to be left working in this sector when experience and 'old qualifications' are disregarded?

We are all working to the same ends. It shouldn't really be necessary for individual early years workers to "fax their MP" to get heard, but at present that is the only way.

I don't know how we could do it, but perhaps it is time we were more organised.

Diane.

Yes Dianne we are all too busy doing lots of things to satisfy everyone else. We of course put the children first, then we are often required to support parents by accessing information for them, we have to follow Ofsteds requirements etc.

Even though it is the holidays,apart from sorting out the agenda for next term,finish my APEL which have spent about 6 hrs each day doing. I have to do this as no one knows if the pre-diploma qualification(old foundation certificate) is o.k. Bearing in mind I have had 24years experience as a supervisor,I have been on many courses, have been a registered foster parent to 2 children together with looking after our own 2 children and a registered childminder.I do feel sad that I have to re-qualify but I would be even more sad if I were told that I couldn't supervise my group.!!!!!!!!!!

I have numerous phone calls from parents. All of the queries could have have waited and I can't diagnose chicken pox over the phone and how do I know if any one else has headlice at the present moment.!!!Unfortunately we put ourselves last on the agenda. I am sure we all should have someone to recognise us for our qualifications and EXPERIENCE

hi

I refuse to do any more formal training unless told that i cannot keep my position as supervisor. I love and do go on lots of day courses to top up!

As bublejack says there are not enough hours in the day now with running a pre school and family and like many others have spent half the holiday doing next terms intake, cirric plans , agendas, planning etc without thinking about doing any moore college courses. :D

I take my hat off for all of you that do :o

If only there was a qualification for dedication and commitment.you would all pass with flying colours!!!!!!!!! maddy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)