Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Number Recognition Game

Can anybody suggest a simple way of making number recognition at circle time fun, that could be made more challenging and acheivable depending on the child.

For example, we might hold up a a child's name and sing 'I wonder what your name is... when they recognise it they go find their a chair for snack.

What could we do for number recognition?

we count the children then find the number, children do turns in counting and find number , they enjoy telling us what number it is, etc, plus if we hold it upside down they know the difference and tell us so, at this time of yr most can count to 20 now, started with smaller groups and increased as children became more confident.

Now they are beginning to guess how many children we have before counting together, some count the children 'in their heads' to make sure they get it right, when a child comes in late or after the start they can now can add a child.

we also are lucky to have area where children can display their names on different colours of their choice so we can see how many chose red today, or green, yellow, or grey (cupboard door colours) if xx moves to the red door how many now on each etc. we display the number on the cupboard to correspond with the counting.

they all enjoy taking their turn at counting and recognising the correct number to go with the display

Inge

Edited by Inge

We have an activity with numbers displayed on either a washing line or velcro board. We have a crow puppet who caws and he is not very good at his numbers. So he often points to the wrong one and the children all love putting him right! We also use him for counting activities , again he gets it wrong.

Linda

Guest sqpeg

We also use Mr Crow who's forgetful and we use pointing finger sticks, the children love using those also like using them as weather men for the weather board; counting clouds and suns etc

We use number flash cards to accompany songs, eg. 5 Currant Buns. Children say the number of the bun they would like.

Salt dough numbers in feely bags - children take a number and use the chosen number of bricks to build a tower.

2 sets of number cards, 1 - 10. Adult shows a card and whoever is holding the corresponding card has to sit down. The last child standing is the next Bingo caller!

We also use banana number fans 0-9 which the children use to show the required number.

Number cards for each child handed out at random before lunch say a number and the child with that number puts it in the basket and goes to wash their hands and line up.

Numbers around the circle at random and say number 2 swap places with number 7 etc.......

I had our caretaker make me a 'brick wall' from wood which sits on my lap, we hide numbers behind the wall and then they peep over the top of the wall a bit at a time as the children try to guess from the shape what the number is. Great fun - can be noisy!! :D

Number bingo works well, to make it quick we work with the children in pairs, they have 3 numerals between them and have to turn them over when I show that number. First to turn them all over gets a sticker!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)