Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Did Everyone Do?

Just wondering if anyone else has got their results back yet? I got a 63 for both, was told they mark low for your 1st assignment has anyone else heard of this?

Deb

Hi Deb

Am very pleased to have passed TMA 1 on E123. Feel a bit awkward, wanted to shout it from the roof tops when I got my result back but also conscious that some people may not have got the results they hoped for. Our tutor told us not to worry on Saturday as the first TMA did not carry too many marks for the course overall. Hope everyone else did OK.

Deb

Congratulations to you both :D

It's a lovely feeling to pass that first assignment isn't it!

If you look in the course assessment guide you will find what the 'weightings' are for each assignment. A percentage of each of your TMA marks is added together to calculate your overall continuous assessment score (OCAS) . I don't want to quote percentages here as things may have changed since I did these courses.

Since E123/124 I have completed and passed E243, E230 and E115. It's been a great journey and along with others I am now on tenterhooks waiting for the ECA results for E215. My ECA for this course was submitted at the beginning of February and the results are due any day now (in fact they are late!)

I wish you both the very best of luck with your studies and hope you enjoy it all as much as I did.

Are you heading for the Foundation Degree with the OU??

Yes have started the long journey towards the Foundation Degree with the OU.

Must be nerve jangling waiting for the results from your ECA, let us know how you get on.

Don't know if you've seen my post about books. Can you recommend any good books, particularly regarding theorists?

Yes I passed TMA 01 (E123). Got 78% which I was very very very pleased with and a little shocked! lol I haven't opened a book since tho cos of the Easter hols etc, but hopefully will do a catch up this Friday.

HI, I am doing both E123 & E124 too and also got 63 for both first assignments, now trying to get to grips with the second ones but being distracted by the sunshine!!

Good Luck with TMA02

Rachel :o

Well done to everyone. I have just started TMA 02 for E123 now. My tutor gave some really good advice she said just sit down and say tonight I will write part 1. tonight I will do part two etc etc and I have to say I am finding this much better as I am only concentrating on doing one thing at a time as opposed to tryin to write the whole lot at once.

bit stuck on part 3 think I will have to go away and have a think about things then get back to it

Deb

Hi

Sounds like good advice from your tutor. With my OU studies I found it best to tackle the TMA's in bite size chunks! It took a while to get used to and in the early days I used to get overwhelmed by the assignments because I was looking at the bigger picture. One step at a time and try to ensure you get all they ask for into each section.

I have just looked up my TMA 2 for E123 but suddenly thought they may have changed the content since I studied the course when it was first presented in 2003.

I really hope you are enjoying your OU journey as much as I did! I am delighted to have now achieved the Foundation Degree in Early Years and the icing on the cake was getting a distinction for E215, my final course :o I am now looking forward to my graduation ceremony in June! The time has flown by but have got the studying bug and am going on to BA (Hons) hopefully.

If you get stuck with your studies feel free to shout I am more than happy to help if I can.

Congratulations Geraldine on achieving your Foundation Degree and the final distinction, it must be a lovely feeling to have achieved your goal after a lot of hard work no doubt (and amidst difficult times). Hope you have a wonderful graduation ceremony to top it off, what fun!

Hi Deb - I haven't started TMA02 yet, still working through study topics, should have started Study Topic 7 today as it's my day off but events took over. Still, I'm ahead of the Study Calendar. I did start to read some of the books I've just bought on theories. I got good mark for my first TMA by doing as you say, doing each part at a time but don't feel confident about this one so am trying to gain a bit more knowledge before I tackle it. I'm enjoying reading about the theories.

My colleague and I are doing the FD together so that helps but she has more experience of observations/theorists as I believe the DPP covered this more than my NVQ3.

As a whole staff we need to carry out detailed observations more frequently to meet the children's individual needs as we are supposed to, but there is some reluctance and consequently my colleague and I are trying to squeeze in an observation when we can but a couple of mine have been cut short.

How long do you spend on an observation in your setting, I guess it depends what the child/children are doing?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just wanted to say i got 63 on e123 and 78 on e124 really shocked with my results as i thought e123 was far easier that e124 but yet i did worse on that still i passed which is the main thing.

Good luck all with the next tmas.

Also has anyone done HLTA and how did they find it.

Nicola

Hi Deb - I haven't started TMA02 yet, still working through study topics, should have started Study Topic 7 today as it's my day off but events took over. Still, I'm ahead of the Study Calendar. I did start to read some of the books I've just bought on theories. I got good mark for my first TMA by doing as you say, doing each part at a time but don't feel confident about this one so am trying to gain a bit more knowledge before I tackle it. I'm enjoying reading about the theories.

My colleague and I are doing the FD together so that helps but she has more experience of observations/theorists as I believe the DPP covered this more than my NVQ3.

As a whole staff we need to carry out detailed observations more frequently to meet the children's individual needs as we are supposed to, but there is some reluctance and consequently my colleague and I are trying to squeeze in an observation when we can but a couple of mine have been cut short.

How long do you spend on an observation in your setting, I guess it depends what the child/children are doing?

Hi Deb

I agree with you over the observations my tutro told us to do lots but in reality there just isn't time for a staff member to be sat out for 10 mins. I did 2 and I am using those. I have manged to finish part three and get down to part 4 but it is really difficult I am just not sure what they are after. they say about supporting childrens play which I think would be the environment and time allowed to spend there and resources etc, but other people (from first class) are realting back to the actual stepping stones - I was going to use the principals and I don't know if this is correct.

Do you use first class? what is your name on there? I am deb Fathers

Deb

Hi Deb

Have sent you a PM with my First Class name. Recognised yours immediately.

Haven't started writing my TMA2 yet. Am now on study topic 8, which is ahead of the study calendar (I keep reminding myself so I don't start to panic). Tomorrow is my day off so will attack it again.

Sorry not much help as brain is dead but would think supporting children's play would entail all the things you mention plus, where appropriate and would not actually interfere with play, using open ended questions to find out where a child's understanding is and extend or consolidate their learning.

I've just been working on TMA02. Have done the first two parts and now stuck on part 3, can't seem to think of enough to say for that part. We have a tutorial tomorrow so hopefully will get some tips. Also I haven't included any references yet and have no idea what to include. For part 4 I was going to reference Birth to Threes Framework - picking out the relevent bits on how to support the child in the furture.

I am aware that TMA3 will be due during the summer holidays when we'll be away for some of the time, plus having the kids around I'm going to find it very difficult to do, so will try and do as much as possible before the school hols.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)