Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning A Framework

Im planning a framework for art for my teaching degree but do not understand quite how to plan for nursery as it is obviously different from other year groups. Do I plan activities based around the elg's?

Sorry I have posted this in another category if you have already read it!

I believe you should work out your aims and objectives first. The ELG's are NOT aims and should not be treated as such. An aim would be worded To be able to..... or To know how...... To describe the effect ................ On the other hand some times we have wonderful activities, we all have our favourites and then its a question of working backwards and seeing what aims would fit this activity. :D:):D:)

Guest freidalaurie

Looking at the Stepping stones and ELG for'Exploring media & materials' is a good start - I would suggest you list possible activities that may include these s.s./ELG's. They are very broad so lend themselves to the 'nursery' ideal of providing LOTS of exploratory experiences of different mediums that could easily be linked to 'topic' based planning. You should also allow for 'free choice' activities where materials can be freely accessed /chosen by the children as well as guided activities. Don't forget that there are also important aspects in Physical Development- using Tools & materials. Don't forget that ALL nursery art must be fun and should NOT always be linked to providing a finished product i.e. tracing line forms in shaving foam , mixing powdered paints and water with hands directly on a table or tray - wonderful sensory/creative experiences!

Hi Alex,

We have, this year, begun to put together a "creative arts" file for our nursery, trying to break up the art curriculum into manageable chunks in order to make sure we give children the widest possible creative experiences. To summarise, we started off by writing a list of every type of art activity we could think of! (drawing, painting, collage, 3D, textiles, etc). Then we went through all our stock, and listed that. Most of our budget is spent on art materials, so it took sometime!!

We then wrote a piece for the Art file about how we have set up the creative workshop; low, shallow shelves where the children can choose freely, and mix media as they choose.

In planning for the half term, we make sure we have included activities for all of the areas of art that we originally thought of. By activities, I don't mean that every child is expected to make a certain picture/item, but that particular resources will be set out on certain days. If children choose not to use these, and go and choose others, that's absolutely fine with us. We have tried to make art as creative and individual a process as we possible can. Hope this helps. :D

Skippy, I agree with you completely! We, too, are having problems finding a way of tying it all in together, & finding the time to do so!We have often said how useful it would be if someone published a set of plans, & how to use them to monitor children; & everything else!!

So if anyone can recommend some- yes please!!

P.S. helen- I love the way you tackle creativity, has given me some good ideas to try, so big thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)