Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Converting Tape To Cd?

mundia

Im sure it must be possible, but can anyone tell me how I might put a tape onto CD? We no longer have decent tape recorders at school and I have some tapes at home that its shame to throw out and Id really like the stuff put onto CD but have no clue how to do it.

Technical geniuses step forward please. (don't all rush at once though...)

My husband has done this through the computer...

You have to effectively download the data from the tape (music, stories etc) to the computer (i.e. play it and record it at the same time) using music/recording software or some kind of audio file program, save it to the hard drive and then burn it to disc like you would burn photos, videos etc...

Obviously, you need a tape deck to do it this way and I can't see how you would get away from this.

The only other way is to see if you can get them done professionally, but I should imagine that it is quite costly.

I'm sure the are more techies out there that could give you more information.

It's possible cos our technical guy at work is doing it for us as he's got some new piece of kit. The quality is pretty good. However as I'm on leave until 16th I can't ask him! I know it has to copy in real time so he tends to leave the tape running after we go home so it's a slow process.

Not much help but it can be done!

cx

Hi Mundia

it can be done but it is very complicated and time consuming so my tech wizard here suggests an investment in an inexpensive cassette player is a better bet!

However, you would need to connect your cassette player to the sound card of your PC and after downloading a special software package you can record your tapes. Then you need to chop it into individual tracks to record to CD. This enables you to use the skip facility on the CD player and select individual tracks, otherwise it records as a continuous loop.

At least that's what I understand from what I've been told.