Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Collectors Of Clutter

Alison

Yesterday I emptied my preschool store cupboard for our termly spring clean but we decided rather than just a spring clean we would have a ruthless sort out and throw things away. there is years worth of "tat" that I have hoarded old toys that are past their best, odds and ends that I saved because "that will be good for the craft area,"

we took everything out sorted it into colour co-ordinated boxes and threw so much away my cupboard is wonderfully organised, labelled and now I have space to buy some new resources :) but....

:( Im such a hoarder and I found this such a wrench to chuck the rubish out...... I found my self keeping half an eye on the bin bags, scared of what was going to be chucked out and saying "dont chuck that...." :o

in the end I said to myself "dont look alison let the nice ladies get rid of the rubish"

but Im such a hoarder....... I need to throw things out more but then I think "recycle, mend and make do, dont waste resources" and I hoard things

maybe I was a squirel or magpie in a former life.!?!?! xD

surely there are others who collect and hoard things?

Hmmm... me too!! we have so much stuff i wont throw out!! You know so well that as soon as you chuck it out you will have a use for it!

When i upgraded to playleader 6 years ago i took over from a great lady who saved every thing, she was well known in our town and people would bring in things for her. I am still working through boxes of bits! The craft cupboard is a total mess but full of interesting things even now. I was worried that i would not be able to replace the intresting items but now i think what is the point in having a cupboard full , the children should be using this stuff in their tech or craft areas.

I was really worried when a church member had took it upon himself to look through some of our cupboards where we store the table top activities, small world etc he told me it was full of junk!! JUNK i replied you havent seen the craft cupboard yet!!! This comment came from a x teacher i thought he would of seen the benfits of our collections!! Any way the cupboards are not to bad so long as you dont look in the craft cupboard where i am still ploding through years of stuff! Does any one else have odd jigsaw bits that seam to have never had a jigsaw? Where do they come from? is there life in the back of our cupboards?

I don't, Im pretty good at clearing the clutter when it gathers. However I live with the worlds biggest clutter gatherer, so as fast as I am throwing it out, he is collecting it up and saying I might use that...

Unfortunately he is often correct too. He is very well known amongst friends for repairing the irrepairable, often with any bits of stuff you and I would call junk...

Guest Wolfie

I'm not TOOO much of a hoarder... my husband says the motto I live by is"If in doubt, chuck it out!".......but how many times have I agonised over whether to chuck something, decided that it can go, and then really really need it within a couple of weeks!!!!Aaagghhh!

My family know that their possessions are in danger if they find them in the utility room - that's where I put things in the "first stage" of chucking out - they sit there for a little while while I think about their fate as I walk past them every day!!! :o

my husband is the same wolifie till i ask him ' can i chuck this?'...i had the opposite problem at nursery last week, want to have a real chuck out session. we have soo much stuff but all i got from staff was'you cant get rid off that!!!!' ended up hiding things in black bin liners :o

Guest tinkerbell

I am a hoarder. everyone teases me but then its 'help have you got 30 kitchen rolls,yoghurt pots....buttons shiny sweet wrappers'

I do tidy now and again by having a big 'making table' :)

Tinkerbellx

Well Im glad Im not the only one I have spent yesterday thinking about my now empty craft shelves.....

My home is the same and a few weeks ago I decided to have a good sort out I actually enjoyed throwing that rubbish away but I have a pile of old toys to take to playgroup and I think they will go mad at me if I take new rubish down to replace the old rubbish!!!

maybe one bit at a time they won't notice? :o