Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Developing Outdoor Area

Hi,

I'm wanting to develop the outdoor play area with some permanent bits and pieces. Currently we have an oval tarmac road for the bikes / trikes, a footpath and then predominantly grass. My dad made me 2 large chalkboards which are wall mounted and we also have some wooden climbing equipment. I was thinking of some tractor tyres to act as planters (apparently you can paint them?) Has anyone done something like this which they are willing to share?? Any suggestions for an outdoor sandpit? Oh and where does everyone keep their outdoor resources? I don't even have a stock cupboard so am thinking of asking for a shed!! Any help would be gratefully received!

"The little book of outdoor play" has some good ideas about developing shelters etc although not sure about how 'shoestring' they are and my head wouldnt let me do any of it as she didnt think it looked good!!

we used car tyres for planters, got them free from local ATS who would willingly have given us loads of them, I expect any tyre replacement place would be willing to give them to you, they work well . we used them as a safety issue as we only have a small area and running and falling or knocking into them causes no problems.

we also have a tub or bin full of bits of guttering and down pipes and corners etc for the children to use also free from a double glazing firm who does replacement gutters, all we did was approach one and ask for some of the old bits they remove when replacing them!! used for cars, moving water,and balls and making tents with a sheet added. Currently used in a flower bed as modern art display!!

A shed or similar is a good way of storing if you have room, we use a ''wendy house'' (non pc description !)which we fill with the toys we can and children use when empty.

we are lucky in that parent often donate items as children outgrow or stop using them so have inherited a water tray, cars, see saws, goal posts skittles and even the house and have had offers of more which we have had to decline due to lack of room. Local school donated the bikes as they found them too small for reception!!

Our garden is secure and not accessible to others so do not have to put or lock items away. we appreciate how lucky we are in this but it took a lot of hard work to get it!!

Inge

We asked for our LA outdoor advisor to help and she said sort the storage before you do anything else. I think its good advice as storage really is a problem for us. We have 3 shed ~~(very old and in need or replacing) and one of those plastic storage cupboards from Argos.

She suggested a garage type so the children can park up the vehicles on a night themselves with storage shelves down the sides for other equipment easily accessible to the children.

There's some great advice, thankyou everyone. I've had 2 tractor tyres delivered today, but just need to find out what sort of paint to use on them, as their hands / clothing are going to end up black!! Mine were a mess just rolling them through the gate!!

I know of a setting that painted the tyres with black gloss paint. Looked lovely and shiny, and they said it lasted a couple of years before needing another coat.

Guest HelenW

We jet washed our tyres and had no problems. You also need to drill them if laying them on their side as they will hold water.

I had a big of a nightmare last week with one though, a child hid in the rim and I walked right up to it and looked in but did not see him, it gave me the fright of my life, he was being quiet as they were playing hide and seek. I found him within a few minutes, but it felt like hours!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)