Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Running

I am thinking about having a go at running - but am awful at it. I belong to a gym but am having to cancel my membership for a while until I know I've got a job to go to etc.

How do I get started at running? I have heard that for the first few weeks, you should only do a certain length of time, and alternate between running and walking. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Also, what sort of trainers should I get, as the ones I have now are more for fashion that for running? I don't want to spend a lot of money incase I fail miserably!

Shelley I am by no means an expert, hopefully one will be along soon, but I run a couple of times a week sometimes more in the summer and I run for 3-4 miles, I find it therapeutic, my doctor advised it when I couldn't sleep and was a little low, it really works, all those endorphins really give me boost, I started with a couple of miles and sometimes I power walk and jog - I did buy some really good trainers and a good support bra is essential, well it was for me having breast-fed five children and lost all elasticity in that area!!!!

Edited by Guest

Why not ask advice from the instructors at the gym you belong to

befor you give your membership up

I am sure they will advise you

If not, my preschool is in a health club, I will ask tomorrow for you, the best way to start

shoes ect

Guest Wolfie

I'm also trying to get into this running lark - my daughter and I go together and we have started by doing so many steps walking followed by the same number of steps running...when I was in Girl Guides many moons ago I think it was called "Scout's Pace"! I hope that as time goes on we'll do more and more running steps and less and less walking steps - well, that's the theory anyway!! I find fast walking so much easier than actual running. Is power walking when you swing your arms a bit more?

I hate running but my gym instructor told it was the best way to get fit, but my legs weren't having any of it! I've got the lung capacity and stamina, but my legs go to jelly!

I started by running for one minute and walking for two -for 20 minutes, then gradually increasing the running to two minutes, walking for two, then running for three, walking for two and I'm now running for three and walking for one.

Ask at your local sports shop for advice on running shoes - they will be able to give you a range of prices and styles - and try them on - you'll know when they are right!

Also try Less Bounce for sports bras - my instructor recommended them (another reason I hated running... :o ) They have a wonderful range of styles to suit all activities.

Have you got a local track you can use? It is far better than running the streets as the surface is better-less impact on joints. And the correct shoes are so important as again they can reduce the amount of impact.

Linda

Shelley! Good on you for wanting to run - that's half the battle won. I have never been 'sporty' - I was the one who was chosen to sit on the base of the Maypole and hold it still, not do all the pretty dancing with ribbons whilst the audience clapped (I'm so damaged!). My whole school experience taught me that I'm rubbish and that its not worth trying cos I'll always be rubbish. (This is turning into a counselling session!). But, a couple of years ago my husband enrolled me at the gym and guess what - I'm not rubbish - haha!! (Where's that PE teacher now I wonder? :o ). I love running, mainly on the treadmill but also outside, weather permitting. I've just entered the Race for Life 5K challenge for Cancer Research and am training hard. I bought a cheapish pair of running trainers to begin with from JJB and my latest I was fortunate to find in TK Maxx having spent weeks pouring over a Running magazine. You can get lots of tips and inspiration from picking up a magazine.....

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on.

Guest tinkerbell

Wow you lot are quite inspirational.

I am just going out for a walk,at a pace...not quite ready to take up the running challenge.At 48 I am finding it annoying that I have a spare tyre that was never there before! I must do something about it.

Good luck everyone

Yinkerbellx

but you can do both - beauty is you burn off what you put on!! Win, win situation......... plus I can carry the spare tyre around the middle (not can, do!) and we're off to France in August with my skinny sister-in-law........ me in a bikini at the moment is not a pretty sight :o So I am determined!

Good on you Shelley why not run I have a book about running but some how I think I have left it too late to use it this time but I may use it at later date, I will use the race for life one insted. :(

Me on the other hand is not fit enough to run yet aggghhhhh I have 10 weeks to my Race for Life. :o On the postive side I walked for 30 mins, at a speed of 4.2 km/ph and walked a total of 2 km. :( So I am 40% of the way there. xD

Beth

It was such a lovely day yesterday I went for a run - I thought it was quite a long way but my husband said it was only about 4 miles (party pooper) but today - I'm rather stiff. Its my great age, no doubt but I've been popping my cod liver oil tablets today! There is a huge difference between running on a treadmill and on the road! Should be interesting today because I'm just about to redecorate the bathroom. Good job you can't hear me creaking and groaning! :o:(xD:( :wacko: :(

Have you got a running sisters group near you, that's how one of my friends started just to get some tips, she was also not very happy about running on her own, so this was perfect for her.

I've been running now for about 5 years, going about 3-4 times a week (included in that will only be one long run and the others very short and sweet). I've done a number of half marithons all in preperation for the big London one, have booked my place am just hoping I can do it :o I did the walk for life a few years ago so I have walked the whole distance. That is an experience in itself (lots of women in bras walking around London at night - very shocking for the lads who were leaving the nightclubs to come across thousands of women dressed like that - they thought christmas had come early xD )

Having the right trainers are very important (and sports bra!!!!!!)

How you breath is always helpful to keep you going, try and breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, I somehow time mine with each stride but you'll find away that is comfortable for you

Good luck and enjoy. I find it hard to make myself go but once I've started it's not to bad and of course when you've finished you feel so much better :)

Remembered today to ask about running!

The instructor said

You must get right shoes. Comfortable and right fit, not loose,

with a small heel JJBs?

He suggested walk for 2 mins, then jog for 10 mins(heel down first to toe)

for as long as you can

Find a round circuit near to home, about 2 miles. Do this 2 or 3 times a week

increasing your distance gradually Dont worry about your speed

Important to remember to stretch when finish, so you dont ache the next day

Front and back thighs and calfs

Hope that helps :)

Shelley I started running a couple of years ago and got up to a slow 4 miles at most. I got inspired by a friend who had recovered from cancer and was looking amazing, she said it was the running that was helping her. I was hopeless at pe at school and when I'd tried to run before always got out of breath and felt really uncomfortable. Her advice was just to go really slow, just a little faster than you walk. I found this really worked for me. I also found a friend to start training with and we did a circuit round our local streets. We ran and then walked, gradually extending out the running as the weeks went on. Then one Christmas another friend was here for the hols and asked to run with me. I said I wasn't good and couldn't go that far, she said not to worry she could always run on and double back now and again. I stunned myself by managing my whole circuit! I can't describe the elation and sense of achievement. Also would 100% agree with the comment about endorphin release, you feel fab and so energised afterwards. I had to stop for a while last year as I feel and broke my elbow, then later tripped at school and have had a bad back since November. I think I may be on the mend though as yesterday I took my daughter swimming and managed 30 lengths of the pool without any problem. You've all got me inspired, my next break from the desk is going to be a quick jog round the block taking in the beach along the way! So lucky to have it nearby on a lovely sunny morning.

Good luck with finding those shoes and starting!

AOB