Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meeting About A Job

I have a student at nursery who is doing her CACHE level 3. She is amazing. She has finished her placement but is doing the odd day with us, just to make up some hours from when she was off sick.

Anyway, her mum is the head teacher of a small private school (reception to year 6). She has just got the job of the head at another private school - but a much bigger one.

She doesn't start until September but is working quite closely with the deputy who is acting as manager at the moment, in order to get a few things in place before she starts in Sept.

Anyway, the students mum rang me up last week and said that the new school she is going to, need a manager for their nursery (20 children aged 2 to 5). She asked if it would be ok to pass my name onto the deputy, to which I said "yes".

The deputy rang me the next day, and said she would be very interested to meet me. She explained that they are off for Easter now for 2 weeks, so I suggested that we meet the week she gets back. However, she said she'd like to meet me asap, and asked me to name the best day and time for me, and she would go into school and open up so that we could chat about the job, and so that I could see the nursery.

I'm going on Wednesday afternoon, and am really looking forward to it. I don't know anything about the job, or the salary, etc, so have a list of questions to ask.

Hope that it turns out to be a good one - have a good feeling about it, so finger's crossed.

Wow, head hunted how great! And what a boost to your ego!!! Even if it doesn't work out to be what you want at least you have been given the opportunity.

Good luck with it all-I hope it all works our for you.

Linda

Guest Wolfie

No wonder you're excited, that sounds really good - and to be head hunted for it is even better!! Write down EVERYTHING you want to ask otherwise you're bound to come away having forgotten something! And the very best of luck - let us know how you get on! :)

Sounds great, but a word of warning, I know a bit about private schools and nurseries attached - don't commit until you've seen it running!!

I really feel this is vital, as, even having seen it up and running, I still made a HUGE mistake some years ago, leading to several months of slowly increasing misery - and I thought I knew what to look for!!

Good luck, anyway!

Sue

Just got back from the school. Got shown around and talked through everything, and met the lady who would be my deputy.

It's very used to nursery now, and when I got shown the planning all based on topics and all done weeks in advance, I inwardly cringed.

It is a little bit out of the arc, and needs a lot of work/change.

But they said that they are looking for someone who is able to come in a run the show, and develop the nursery.

I got offered the job on a termly basis, and then if I liked it they would like to make it permanent.

Have another interview next week so am going to think about it. Would definitely do a term, and then see what I thought.

If nothing fruitful comes from the other interview, then I will takes Sue's advice, and ask to have a look round when it's in operation.

Guest Wolfie

Sounds good so far as long as you like a challenge! Take your time and think about it properly, don't rush into anything too quickly, that's my advice! You must have been impressive to be headhunted and then offered the job so quickly - well done! :)

Can you see yourself in there? and are you finding yourself thinking about the changes you could make?

I love the idea of going into a new build and starting from scratch ( i know its no quite the same) and putting my name on it so to speak.

Its a good opportunity!

Im passing you positive thoughts through this message:

:) ~*~*~*~*~* :)

Shelley, I looked at a job in Year R in a private school a few weeks ago and not having experience in the private sector chatted to a friend who does. He suggested checking with the Union to see whether they could give you any feedback about the school. He'd accepted a job in a private school and later regretted it as the Head's wife bullied the staff and this had resulted in several people losing their jobs/leaving. He eventually contacted the Union who said what a shame you didn't ask us before taking on the job, we could have told you all about it! He also said to ask about numbers on roll and how the trends are on this. When I phoned about the school I was looking at they said that there had been concerns about the school's funding, but that these may have been sorted out, but gave ideas about the sort of questions I could ask around this.

Hope this is helpful and that it does turn out to be a wonderful opportunity. Good luck.

AOB

Some excellent advise already. Good luck with your interview next week. Having two possible positions will better enable comparisons. Here's hoping you get whats best for you. :D

Peggy