Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help....girly Stuff!

I'm getting married in August and still have loads to organise. I'm not terribly girly. I'm not a tom boy but generally I don't wear make-up (because I'm rubbish at applying it), and I don't do my nails etc.

I want to wear make-up on the day, but would need to get someone to do it for me, so that it looks good and doesn't wear off after 5 minutes. I just want it to look natural though, otherwise it will be such a contrast from what I normally look like. Who can I approach about getting it done?

Also, my nails are short and if I grow them they split. I'd like to have nice nails for the day. but don't want really long false ones, as I'll never cope! Any advice on this front?

Thanks!

oooh, you sound just like me! I hardly ever wear make up (just the occasional bit of eye shadow when I go out) and I'm not great at doing it as I'm used to wearing it on stage rather than the natural look. I had a lady do my hair and make up on the day and she was amazing! It lasted all day and looked natural but enough to show I was wearing it.

As for my nails, I just let them grow a little as I'm a biter. They weren't long but they were long for me and I think they looked fine.

Here are some pics for you to look at:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3230614

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nichola80/set...57594269253718/

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5045151

Edited by Nichola

you may try asking your hairdresser, sometimes they know people who can help if they cannot (mine runs this service) we also have a few salons which while do tanning also offer this kind of service..... suggest that whatever you decide you have practice runs as well as with hair including any head gear you may be wearing, took mine to the hairdresser and had several different styles tried out before deciding on the one i wanted. (many many moons ago, 27yrs now )

Inge

You can use a beauty salon. I have my nails done once a fortnight-it's my treat to myself and a time when I can switch off from everything. The salon I go to also does wedding makeup. They will have a trial run about two weeks before so you would be able to sort out just what you want then.

Have a look in your yellow pages for beauty salons in your area and give them a ring-most of them will be very helpful and will give you a price too.

Linda

I went to 'Boots' a while before my wedding, I think I had to pay £5 (12 years ago). The beautician chose suitable shades and showed me how to apply the make-up, you got the money back if you bought £5 worth of products. Not sure how much it would cost now though?

I don't feel comfortable wearing false nails at all so I would try to grow them if you can, lots of places have nail bars, the hand massages are very relaxing too.

Just bought a set of short nails in H & M for £2.99, to give them a try.

My boyfriend is going to wet himself laughing when he sees them - as they are so not me!!!

Just took them out the packet and held them up against my nails and they seem really long. Can you cut them or will they look stupid?

you can cut them back to a length you feel happy with...... they will feel awkward and you may find that they are not easy to get used to.... may be worth trying some of the products on the market for strengthening your own nails.. I use one from OPI 'Nail Envy' which is very good, some Boots stock them now used to have to go to salon before that, there are several on the market .

Inge

hi

one of my friends has an acrylic tip on the end of her nails. Its not very long, and her nail grows underneath as well.

Its look great and she has sort of a french manicure look which is really natural.

x

Shelley I had my nails done for my 25th wdding anniversary and I asked for them to be as hsort as I wanted them because I wanted to carry on having them through to my holidays and knew that if they were too long they would get broken. they looked really good also I spent a few weeks of using a really good hand cream. don't wait right till the last to have them done have a trial before hand and if they don't look good you will give your nails time to recover. If not have a manicure a few time in the weeks leading up to your wedding.

Have as many trials as you can before the big day then you know what will look right on the day.

Where are you getting married? I'm in Poole so know Bournemouth quite well.

What ever happens enjoy your day thats the main thing and don't stress out over anything.

Steph

Sorry I can't be of any help with nails I did try some false ones once - they ended up stuck in my horse's mane! Not a good idea for the outdoor type like myself! Good luck Shelley, my daughter tried some really nice nails from Boots she cut them quite short and they looked lovely.

Edited by Guest

Steph - I'm getting married in the Orchid Hotel, which is near the Lansdowne: here

Shirel - I am sorry but I laughed outloud about your horse's mane - in fact the malteser I was eating at the time ended up on my keyboard!

I just cut the nails down to size, and glued them on, but I am afraid that after doing 3 nails I pulled them off and threw the lot in the bin. They looked awful!

I think I'll try the acrylic tips!

Hey, Shelley!

Just be you, only - care for your nails from now till then!

That's what I did!! - although it was so long ago I don't think beauty therapists and manicures had been invented!! :o

Shelley

Have been and had a "nosy" at the hotel. I know where it is and a beautiful place looks lovely. Oh I wish I was getting ready for a weding again, but unfortunately or more like fortunately my son is not ready to get married yet. :oxD I don't think any one else is ready to have him yet :(

The hotel is in a lovely spot lets hope the weather shines on you and makes the day perfect.

Even if the weather is bad just enjoy the day from the minute you get up until the minute you fall asleep :(

I had my wedding many moons ago out at Spetsbury, and it was cloudy all morning even had a few spots of rain then inthe afternoon for photos the sun shone.

Hope you have as many lovely years as I've had and hope for many more.

Will wait with eager breath for the photos Shelley

Ahhh Steph - feel really touched that you went and had a nose. It's lovely isn't it??!! Just perfect for us. We both fell in love with it the minute we got there.

Did you go inside?

Try using Vaseline Intensive hand and nail cream, it comes in a pink container and makes my nails really strong. Worth a a go as it is not very expensive and nice hand cream!

Hi Shelley

Hotel looks lovely and a nice size, will look out for it next time I'm in Bournemouth.

Not an expert on nails but would love to have a manicure, a French manicure has always appealed to me, nice and tidy but not too long.

My husband and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in November. We had lovely winter sunshine going in to the church, and a pea soup of a fog when we came out. Meant we had an unplanned stay in a little hotel with four poster bed, and sandwiches on arrival, cos we couldn't drive to our honeymoon. It really topped off a wonderful day and it was all paid for by a very kind uncle.

PS Can wholeheartedly recommend Dove hand cream.

Edited by Deb