Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3 Or Cache Diploma?

Hi

Having completed my NVQ2 about a year ago, I am now thinking of doing an NVQ3 however I notice that this covers the age range of 0 to 16 and my area of interest in the 5's and under. With this in mind should I be concidering the Cache diploma in preschool practice instead and can anyone tell me the actual difference between the two qualifications?

Thankyou

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

The reason that the NVQ was changed was so that it would be a more flexible award. Many people start out working in preschools and creches but move on to work in Out of School clubs etc. Formerly you would've had to take a separate NVQ to do this, but the way the new award is structured, you would just have to undertake a few new units. :)

http://www.nurseryworldjobs.co.uk/rs6/tslj...p?tag=childcare

Good luck with whatever you decide on :D

NVQs are increasingly popular options; they can be at level two, three or four. You need to be working with children, registered with an NVQ Assessment Centre, and are likely to have to attend some training sessions, although distance learning options may suit you better. You have to demonstrate your competence in the workplace and are directly observed by an assessor. There are several options to suit different areas of work: Early Years Care and Education, Playwork, Teaching Assistants, and Caring for Children and Young People. Awarding bodies for NVQs are City and Guilds, CACHE, and Edexcel.

The CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Child Care and Education (DCE), previously known as DNN (NNEB), is a two-year full-time course, for school leavers and mature students. About half the course is in practical placements with an age range of birth to eight. It is an academic course, and for those completing in 2004 it will be awarded up to 360 UCAS points. You need to complete 12 units, two portfolios, nine national assignments, professional development profiles, practice evidence records and a written exam.

Don't forget OCR does NVQ's as well. They are doing TA's and also VQ's for school support staff, and the units cover an enormous range of work roles within schools. No specific qualification for underfives though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)