Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childcare Within Foundation Stages

Hiya

I deliver childcare as part of the local Children Centre Agenda on a split site. 0-3's in our family centre(open for a year) and 3-5's in with the foundtion stage unit of our local primary(opened mid january this year).

Does anybody else deliver childcare integrated with a school unit???

At present our childcare children can freely mix with children only attending for education in the unit, staff share the responsibility for all children depending on the areas they are accessing. My early years advisor from Sure Start told me that the childcare staff have overall responsibility for childcare children in the setting, so not sure wether i should keep Childcare children with Childcare staff at all times.?????

Dont know if i am doing right or wrong and all our neighbouring children centre's have designated areas for childcare seperate to their education areas.

I would be interested to hear how you organise your settings, your childcare staff, share responsibilities with established education staff etc. and i might just get my head around it

Jayne,

Not sure if this helps but my setting is on a school site.We run breakfast club, morning pre-school,lunch club,pre-school,after school club.

Our children range from 3-11for breakfast and after school, however pre-school caters for children from 3 for education but school nursery takes them part time from when they are 4. We provide childcare(alongside the education) for those who want it for the other part of day.So a child may attend morning pre-school,lunch club then attend school nursery for the afternoon or visa versa.

Is this what you mean?

Bookworm

Thanks bookworm

Yes that is similar to us. we have breakfast club and after school for 3-11, but we dont deliver the education just the care. they are either in childcare on the morning and education after lunch or vice versa. The school gets the education grant we charge a fee for the wraparound care.

Our Children's Centre is on the samesite as our FS and KS1 section of a primary school. The 0s to 3s are in the Children Centre room but the 3s to 4s are in with the youngest nursery children accessing their education sessions. there are lots of discussions about whther the CC staff should always be with the day care children. It seems that they should but the standards are different for education and daycare. The discussions go on, including how to amalgamate practice.

Hi

We run within my company a childrens centre that operates the same system where the childcare and funded care share one large room with staff shared between the room (All together) I find this concept strange. If you would like the contact details of the manager to give her a call and discuss how it works feel free to pm me.

Thanks for that Oscar

i thought we were the only ones having those discussions!!

Hopefully we will come up with the solutions to establish good practice without losing too much sleep over it

Strange isn't in it shelley, although most of the time it seems to work well its the question of who has overall responsibility as CC staff belong to the company and education the lea.

I will PM you for those details as soon as i get a minute, the kids seem to be overactive this evening my 3 yr old is normally asleep by 7.30

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)