Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ironing

Sorry if it's a rude question but does anyone have their ironing done for them? Could you give me a ballpark figure of how much you're charged? I find myself in a bit of a tricky position and I need to tactfully try and sort it out. Thank you! :o

No, I'm not in that lucky situation but I do have a card dropped through my door with some prices on it. I live in a rural village in Devon.

Sheets: £1.20

Pillow cases: 50p

Trousers: £1.50

Plain skirts: £1.50

Dress (plain): £2.00

Shirts/blouses: £1.50

T-shirts: £0.75

Pair pyjamas: £1.50

Hankies:£0.25

Large tablecloth: £3.00

Small tablecloth: £1.50

Hope this helps.

Hi Moose,

Had a quick search but not many of the companies include the prices on their web pages. Have attached one that I found and think it includes pick up and delivery but it seems expensive to me - £1.05 an item :o

http://www.creases-ironing.co.uk/site_pages/prices.htm

I very rarely iron - just hang my clothes up as soon as they are out of the wash on the maiden and the majority of our clothes don't need ironing. Spend around 15 mins a week ironing those things that really need doing. How lazy am I??? :)

Thanks Suzanne and Mookie. Those prices sound extortionate! I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it! I think I must still be living in the dark ages :o

Someone wants to do my ironing to earn some extra money. They don't want to quote me a figure and I don't know what to offer them: I don't want to offend them with a paltry offer of money but I'm not exactly flush myself.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Guest

I used to do ironing for people when I was broke a couple of years ago - turned into a nice little earner - I charged £8 an hour and they trusted me cos I got through quite a lot in an hour! About 8 shirts, a few skirts/trousers, a bit of bedding (hated bedding with a passion!!) and some napkins / hankies etc

They used to drop off and collect - otherwise, I said I'd charge for my time at the same rate if they wanted it picking up / dropping

A friend of mine charges per basket - but it's scary what people jam into a basket.......and when it's jammed it takes longer to iron, so it was a bit of an unknown!!! She changed to an hourly rate when she got new customers!!!

Hope this helps! Sarah x

This is really spooky! I was going to make a post about ironing myself this evening-having spent about 5 hours today doing the wretched stuff and only having got through about half of it, not including the washing from today!!

I think I am going to have to find somebody to do mine for me-I just hate it!!

Linda

My sister used to do ironing, she charged £8.00 per hour!

I iron every single night so its 'little and often' because I cant stand ironing for hours at a time!

I dont mind ironing a bit of elvis on the cd player and its done in no time although i dont iron bed clothes my daughter has at least 15 pairs of jim jams a week and i simply dont have time for those

I used to pay my teenagers £10 a week for doing the ironing. They soon cottoned on that it was better to get it right 1st time and not have rejects sent back for re-ironing. It had the effect of getting them to search out a proper saturday job tho! My eldest daughter now earns £50 for her saturday job in a florists. She's really good, does those posh aqua arrangements, drives the work van to do deliveries! We're in the wrong job!

I used to get some one to do it but then my mum started to do it for me so I pay her and she feels like she helping us which she is cos I hate ironing. I pay her £20 a week, or rather my son pays her as its his contribution to the household when he first started work. Its the best £20 I don't have to spend :(:D

Which reminds me I should do a revu of how much my son contributes into the house as he is earning more than me now!!!!!! :(xD

If I had the money I would get some one to do my cleaning as well. :o

Either its old age or I just don't like house work.

Definitly don't like housework.!!!!! :wacko: :(

Hi Marion!

A friend of mine started an ironing company up in our area about 12 years ago called 'Iron Maidens' (still going strong) - she reckons it was in honour of me, cos I was always moaning about my ironing and then saying at least it gave me an excuse to listen to Iron Maiden! Don't believe that, but just goes to show how obvious it is as the name of an ironing company!

Sue

Thanks chaps for all the information. What a huge variation in price there is out there: from £1.50 for one item to £10 for 40. Both ridiculous prices at opposite ends of the scale!

I had a look at your website sarahnev707 - what a lovely one!

I can't justify using/wasting valueable time ironing, folding very carefully is the key! :):)

I have an ironing basket with a pile of clothes in that live in there permanently, it just makes it look like I am a proper housewife. :o