Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We Have Had A Go..

Ok - so we tried the big write on Fri and our results were very mixed. We had one group who wrote a lot, correct spellings using some capitl letters and full stops etc.. Another group just copied the wow words from the board and another group just made marks. This group worries me as they are not associating writing with recording the sounds they can hear on paper. They recognise sounds and can tell me the sounds in words but they re not associating this with writing.

Any ideas on what i can do to help this group?

Thanks in advance

Lola

its good to hear your news Lola. You mention that last group and I wonder if you do talking partners? We start every writing session that way so that children begin to make the connection between spoken word and writing, and we encourage children to use their HL (if this is an issue for you as it is for us). We work on the basic principle that they cant write what they cant say.

We also get the children to listen to our focus words in speech so for example if we are focussing on 'we' I will have a card saying 'we' and I will talk to the children and every time I say 'we' they will do a certain action (eg touch their nose, clap their hands etc) and I will hold up the card as well. They love this (im sure it came from the playing with sounds or an adaptation), and it helps them to make that connection.

Hope that makes sense?

We also do dictation, sounds very formal, but the chn. just use dry wipe boards on the mat. I say a word, give time for more able to write it then we listen to sounds in the word, average can now write them, then say each sound individually for less able. Later in the year I will sometimes split ability groups and give more able sentences according to ability. The chn. love this and use whiteboards in CI Play - on Friday one of my less able had written a list of CVC words then asked for some glue to stick the board to the wall so everyone could see!

Oh, magenta, that's lovely!

Mundia - I really like that idea, may use it with my older group of quite mixed ability (as you know, I have quite a lot of very young children at the moment!)

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)