Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Weekly Plannong / Timetable

hi there, i urgently need some help and advice for some experienced practitioners with reagrds to the daily organisation of my class. I have a mixed Yr/Y1 class ( 20 reception, 5 Y1) and the ch have access to outdoor play continually. the classroom is set up with specific areas of learning which I am happy with.

However, i am desperately trying to plan my week so that i get an equal balance of ch initiated and adult led activities.

at the moment i plan 1 focused activity for literacy / CLL, 1 focus ativity for MD/numeracy and one other. I worry that the year ones ought to be doing an activity daily but time, resources and adults doesnt allow for this, unless activities planned for them are independent and through the continuous curriculum. I have to do guided reading; whole ch observations ( 20 mins). I have attached a copy of my current timetable with adults ( 3 on a morning; 2 on an afternoon)/. if anyone could contact me via phone or email or could look at my timetables i would be extremely happy. I currently do a weekly num plan and a weekly lit plan very much like KS1 would produce. however, i would like to put all my planning on one sheet that can be used to cover all areas of learning; key obj; enhanced provision etc etc. does anyone have this to share?

I realise that no one class is the same and the inconsistencies between schools is very high; I feel that no one school is doing the same, but hope that someone out there with a similar class will be able to help.............PLEASE!!! Im getting very frustrated that i can not get an even balance between adult led and ch initiated and want to get away from being sat with a group morning and afternoon. At the same time I also have year one ch who without adult led activities would spend all their day in the sand!!!!!!! xD:o

weekly_overview_CJ.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi Charlotte, I would love to have a chat with you about some of these things as I too am teaching a mixed R/1 class. I think the best thing to do if you fancy it is chat - MSN is my prefered way to do this but we could use the chat room on here if not.

Let me know what you think my e-mail is fairynough@hotmail.com (this is also my msn contact~)

I am at the education show tomorrow but will be around on Sunday if you fancy it, or one evening next week.

I am too tired to be of any use right now (and have to go back to school for a PTA event :o )

hope to hear from you soon :)

Wow you are very lucky to have such a good ratio of staff to children. :D

its great when schools appreciate how inportant the early years are, and staff schools appropriately.

we have only four staff for 67 children. (43 reception and 24 pt).

sorry getting of the point :)

Hi there I would really appreciate anyone sharing their planning if they combine lit and num and make one weekly plan. here is what i have made so far?? does it look right? similar to anyone elses????

whole_sheet_plan_26.3.07.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Wow! You do have a lot of staff. We had a similar problem to you and we felt that we were not providing the children with enough time to do any child initiated activities without being rushed. I have enclosed a copy of the planning documents that we use and also a timetable. Ofsted were very please with how we ran everything and we came out with a 1 so we must be doing something right. (I only teach F2 children not year one aswell)

Hope they help. :D

new_timetable.doc

Outline_of_the_day_in_the_FSU.doc

Blank_medium_planning_format.doc

Literacy_input___activity_planning.doc

Phonic_Weekly_Planning.doc

Numeracy_input___activity_planning.doc

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me....

Thanks Boogie for your planning documents - they look great. Can I ask one question? I can see when you teach Literacy and Numeracy but where on your timetable do you cover the other areas (presumably taught through topic work) Is this covered in your busy time?

I'm sorry if I have hijacked your post Charlotte or if this is the wrong place but I could do with some help and advice too! This is my first year in YR and I am using inherited planning but it doesn't feel quite right. There is just me and a TA.

My day starts with a literacy session, whole class teaching, then 2 x focus groups and the others do an activity which is directed by me e.g. cherry group work in the role play area. When the focus groups have finished everyone can "choose"

My numeracy session after play follows the same format. After lunch we do Topic work which attempts to cover the other 4 areas of learning e.g. this half term it's All about me.

My concerns are:

Are the literacy and numeracy sessions too formal?

Should I be teaching literacy and numeracy through the topic work and not in isolation?

There isn't enough child initiated time.

I have looked at lots of planning publications e.g. LCP early years and Penny Tassoni Planning for the Foundation stage and I can see that these would work beautifully in a nursery. However, how do you include the NLS, NNS, SEAL, Developing early writing, RE agreed syllabus etc etc into these topic based approaches? I know they are not statuatory but it is assumed I am doing them in Reception!

Any advice would be very welcome - Ofsted are looming and I'm not really sure that what we are doing is consistent with current thinking! Thanks!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Jane and welcome to the site

I teach r (15) yr1 (6) =21 I have a TA all day and a Support assistant in the mornings for a year 1 boy who is statemented.I do literacy focus until morning play and then numeracy focus until lunch.After lunch I do the curriculum areas for the yr1 and topic eg PE for one session/Re for another on Monday...this is because of the timetabling for the hall etc

It sounds quite formal but it works for us ...in the morning sessions I have the library so my SEN support takes my yr1 and class2 yr1s (15) for SULP/SEAL circle time twice a week.My TA takes my reception for SULP/SEAL circle time for 2 sessions a week as well,at different times.Whilst each group is out it enables me to gather the group left behind to focus on them, or do a decent ob.

I will find my timetable and post it later.

There really is no perfect answer to this ,each term or half term I change my timetable to suit the group or what is happening with the rest of the school eg HT changed assemblies to the end of the day!!!that was tough trying to get set up in the morning etc and talk t the TA in 10 mins!!

Tinkerbellx

I think that as long as there is a balance between Child Initiated and Adult Directed activites (40/60 in Summer Term) then that's ok. We have quite formal Literacy and Numeracy sessions in the Summer Term balanced with free flow CI Play in and out. We try to link Lit/Num to topics e.g. next half term - plants - so will do Jasper's Beanstalk, sorting/counting/adding seeds. Topics don't always fit though so we may choose non- related texts that are perhaps decodable. I think there are many different ways of teaching Reception successfully - find what works for you and your children, I think a good balance is the key.

Any advice would be very welcome - Ofsted are looming and I'm not really sure that what we are doing is consistent with current thinking! Thanks!

We were recently visisted by ofsted and they were looking at planned outdoor learning in a big way.

Hello, this is my first post so please bear with me....

Thanks Boogie for your planning documents - they look great. Can I ask one question? I can see when you teach Literacy and Numeracy but where on your timetable do you cover the other areas (presumably taught through topic work) Is this covered in your busy time?

I'm sorry if I have hijacked your post Charlotte or if this is the wrong place but I could do with some help and advice too! This is my first year in YR and I am using inherited planning but it doesn't feel quite right. There is just me and a TA.

My day starts with a literacy session, whole class teaching, then 2 x focus groups and the others do an activity which is directed by me e.g. cherry group work in the role play area. When the focus groups have finished everyone can "choose"

My numeracy session after play follows the same format. After lunch we do Topic work which attempts to cover the other 4 areas of learning e.g. this half term it's All about me.

My concerns are:

Are the literacy and numeracy sessions too formal?

Should I be teaching literacy and numeracy through the topic work and not in isolation?

There isn't enough child initiated time.

I have looked at lots of planning publications e.g. LCP early years and Penny Tassoni Planning for the Foundation stage and I can see that these would work beautifully in a nursery. However, how do you include the NLS, NNS, SEAL, Developing early writing, RE agreed syllabus etc etc into these topic based approaches? I know they are not statuatory but it is assumed I am doing them in Reception!

Hello,

We felt that our day was much too formal doing literacy and numeracy all morning with very little child-initiated play which is why we change things. Our topic work is often linked in with our literacy and numeracy topics and is also taught in small groups during busy times. We are very flexible now with our structure of the day and also our planning. We tend to go with the flow and also a lot more now with our children's interests. This is why I no longer do a room plan. I write down ideas for activities and resources that will link with our topic and start the week off with resources that I choose from these ideas to put out in the room. As the week goes on and the children develop their own ideas we tend to go with those.

We have found that the children are much more relaxed and eager to learn. They get a really good mix of adult-led and child-initiated activities and we also have had chance to implement our 30 minute daily phonic session which the Rose Review states is necessary. The children are very happy and they enjoy playing the games without being bogged down with too much all at once.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Boogie x

• 2 weeks later...

:) hi Jane and everyone out there! I have just been accepted for a Reception post starting next term, having been out of teaching for a few years being at home with my three children. I am SO excited and have been scanning a lot of sites for advice and aave found this forum so helpful!

I taught Year 1 and 2 previously but am becoming familiar with FS: I am really lucky in that the head wants me to make fresh start with the planning rather than try to work with the old planning (which didn't really make use of outdoor opps and resources available). She's interested in a highscope approach so there is more structure to free choice/busy time.

I just wanted to thank you all for some fantastic ideas - from what I can make out it's very much a case of using common sense and a balanced approach (teacher led, child initiated), using long/medium/short term planning sheets which are practical and workable ( I have one eg of a daily plan for numeracy which is 3 A4 sheets long!!!).

The approach I thought of (in my inexperienced state!) was to start with a theme/topic, brainstorm it with ideas and activities in all areas of learning, then fit the ELG statements for the six areas into those activities, taking account of TL/CI, indoor and outdoor play etc. then building in opps for obs/assessment, with a small daily focus on Phonics, Literacy and Numeracy.......

Do you think that this sound feasible/sensible or are there glaring gaps or mistakes in my thinking?!!!

Looking forward to being part of the chats!

Thanx again xx

PS Boogie, thank you for the downloads - it also seems sensible to use egs of planning sheets straight from the Foundation Stage handbook, tailored to your own setting?

Alf x

PPS How do I add a smilie - clicked on them but can't get one on to text :o !

OOOh it worked on the post!!

Hi Alf and welcome. I hope that will be your first post of many!

I am sure you will enjoy reception and you certainly sound enthusiastic. Are the children new to school too? That will make the biggest difference to what you can do if they are.

Have you discovered the planning on Norfolk or even within Hamiltontrust.org, as taking some established planning and adapting it to your own needs could be a good way to go? (I havent bought any of the Hamilton resources, but some of the free literacy stuff is good as is the maths planning which would ensure coverage and enable you to go back a bit if your children are new into school).

Planning needs to be flexible and adaptable so dont be too dispirited if you dont feel it is quite right at the beginning. Keep adapting until you find a workable format. There are lots of us here who plan in many different ways although essentially if you show the ELG you are working towards and the differentiation within your learning intention with an indication of the activity, you wont go far wrong. Your planning is a working document for you and as such should give as much or as little detail as you require it does not need to be a lesson plan in minute detail. In fact I find that the more tightly planned I am the more likely it is that my lesson will not respond to the childrens needs.

There is a move away from topic planning towards using childrens interests as a lead so do not feel that because you have planned it you must do it. Think of your planning as the hanger on which you put your clothes---knowledge, skills and attitudes and if the tshirt is not quite right today change it without worry!!

Good luck.

Hi Alf and welcome :D

Sound advice from Susan, as always. The Norfolk plans can be found here

I am sure you will enjoy being in Reception - it really is a wonderful year group to work with.

Hi Alf, you sound like you are on the right track. I'm new to reception to - my first year and I change the way I plan all the time! The thing that is bugging me at the moment is how to ensure planning for coverage and progression throughout the year. I like the topic based approach and brainstorming suitable activities and for K&U this will work fine but for CLL and MD there needs to be progression and coverage across the year surely? If anyone has been able to map the NLS and NNS objectives ( yes I know they are not statuatory) into suitable topics I would be really interested if you could share it. Thanks!

Hi there; thanks for the replies; I must be honest and say that I am none the wiser as to how much and how often seems to be the 'norm'; there seems to be such a inconsistency between practioners as to how a day is planned. I am desperately trying to free up time to allow for more child initiated but am also aware that I have to provide some whole class teaching. Ros Bayley encouraged us to keep things fast and pacey; hence my daily 10 minutes of phonics; after the rose report it now appears that we need to do half an hour of teaching;this seems to clash with the arguement that we should be planning as much child initiated time as possible. I still feel unsure as to how much whole class lit and num we should be provided ona daily and / or weekly basis! For example if i were to do a 10 min whole class lit / a 10 min whole class num; a half hr phonic session and then my P.E, this to me seems a very formal day!!! CONFUSION!! I hjave just tried my best to work a day / week which allows for ch intiated and adult directed time; but this is sucha tricky balance. Boogie mentioned that she tends to leave planning very loose? how do you plan for lit / num then? do you do lit/ num medium term plan???? Also how often do you teach whole class lit /num or do you not do these sessions and just keep to small groups.

I really feel that there needs to be more consistency between schools / practioners as to how and when. with schools doing very different things I have not yet spoken to many others that are doing things similar. I would really love to hear how people are planning their week?? here is a list of things we do ina week / have to do?? this I plan into a 'flexible' timetable; the rest of the time i try to allow for continous curriculum

whole class lit ( 10 mins )

whole class numeracy ( 10 mins)

adult led focused activities 3 -4 a week( small groups) these can be for CLL / MD/ KUW/ PSED/ CD/ PD or cover more than one area.

guided reading ( each group per week!!!! of time allows)

whole child observations ( 20 mins per child; 2 children per week)

10-15 mins phonics daily ( either whole class or ability groups)

P.E

golden time ( whole school)

assemblies

** the rest is child intitiated time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if there is time!!!!!

Sorry if it seems like i am going on but really would like to hear how the logisitics all work in reception.

I await patiently!!!!!!!!!!

:o

Hi Charlotte,

It really is difficult as so many people have different views on how Reception chn. should be taught. I don't really think there can be one right way as we all have different teaching styles and teach very different groups of children, we need to find what works best for us and our children, there are never enough hours in the day!

One thing I would like to know is where it states that we should be doing 30 mins phonics per day, now that scares me!

I do 15 minutes of phonics a day with any few mins we have added in; say while we're eating our friut we do keywords.

Here's one of my weekly plans before it is scribbled all over and annotated.

Oh dear, how do I add a link?

Hi actually Phonics needs to be approximately 20 minutes per day.

I've attatched the planning exemplar from the new primary strategy site

30_Phase2.pdf

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)